REALLY oily skin

my skin is extremly oily. after one after of washing my face, my face looks as if it is wet, because there is so much oil. is ther a product i can use on may face like an astrigent or moisturizer or something, that keeps the oil to a minimum for a little while?

please help, and thankyou.

I see you are 14 years old and boy do I remember having that problem at that age. When I was that age, I used neutrogena soap as that worked for me but everyone is different. You might want to ask your parents and have an appointment set up with a dermatologist to see what product may be good for you. Also, do you use makeup? The type of makeup you use may have something to do with it as well.

st. ives scrub, um take lysen (spelled right who knows) anyway it's a vitamen to help break outs, Um actually it would be a good idea to go to the dermatologist and get meds for it. they can give you a face wash, or face toner stuff, or a topical cream, or pills, lots of diff stuff.

my ex bf took acutane, only there are some pretty major side affects with that one, it doesn't affect most people, but you need to read the warnings and listen to ABSOLUTLY EVERYTHING the dr. tells you about that pill.

it really dried my bf's face out, but he didn't really have oily skin, he just had a lot of zits all over his face, but in like a month of him using that it reduced it a lot, it works wonders. and will do good for oily skin.

good luck,

love Qtpie87

i have asked my parents numerous times to see a dermatologist, but they say, you are a teenager, and it will go way and its supposed to happen. or stop whereing all that makeup. all of my makeup is noncomodegenic, and at first when i put it on my face is like perfect, and all the pimples and whatnot are covered. but an hour or so later, its like ahhh and my making slowly starts to melt off by the end of the day, even numerous touch ups. my skin has never been this bad, and i am now allergic to benzoyl peroxide which in the past has been the only thing to clear my skin. i used 10% and my pimples where gone for like 2 months, i stopped using it for a month and started to break out again, and i used it and my face got sooo red and swollen. i tried again with a very very small amount. and once again blood red and swollen. i use 2.5% bp making sure to be careful around my eyes, becayse thats the only place i swell with 2.5 but it doesnt seems to be strong enough. but the oil has tripled since i last remember. and i have more pimples than i have ever had.

getting to the point, which brand/type of makeup do you recomend?

I think you should tell your parents that it's not fair to you not to see a dermatolagist. There excuse that "because your a teenager, it'll go away" is absolutly rediculouse! First and foremost, it's probably embarasing, and it is completely unnessisary for you to have to feel uncomfortable. Secondly, skin problems as a teen, like acne, can leave permanant scar tissue on the skin, that is, quite treatable.

Keep bugging them for an appointment, it's not fair, and their excuse isn't valid. Not every kid has problems, and they shouldn't do that to their daughter!

Good luck

Just because makeup says noncomedogenic, it doesn't get rid of the problem and could actually make it worse. I'm 32 years old and still have the same problem and the best thing my dr. told me was to minimize the amount of make up I use, which I did. I found the best product out there now is Origins. It has completely cleared up my skin and the makeup is light enough where it doesn't cause a problem but I don't use any make up base..just powder. You could also try Clinique but honestly for a 14 year old, it seems a little pricey to buy either product in my opinion.

hey... try neutrogena deep pore cleansing wipes. they're really good...as soon as i get a pimple it disappears straight away when i use the wipes. whatever you do dont use clearasil or 10.0.6 (think thats what its called) they wreck ur skin and cause pimples. they make ur skin oily as they take away the natural oil, which our body needs for it complexion. this makes your skin create more oil and therfore makes it really oily.

u can try a mask..They usually help m y skin out when it gets too oily...then again i have a t zone fake...its oily on my forhead my nose and chin...so if ur having it all around ide reccomend a face wash that isnt oily for one thing..like facewash and mask in one...Or something

I hope everything gets better bye!

Are you washing your face too much? I always hear that dermatogists say you should only be washing your face maybe 2-3 times a day, particullarly after you wake up and before you go to bed. If you wash your face too much, it could dry out your skin and you will produce more oils to compensate for the dryness, thus causing oily skin.

I don't know. That may be the cause, it may not.

i just bought proactiv. it works great! the first time you use it your skin seriously glows. and your makeup goes on so much better, everything is just better after you use it. my friend told me that my skin looks so much better, she tells me like all the time. it also reduces the oil on my skin, allthough i still have alot but its better than before and keeps me less oilyt for a longer amount of time so far its the best thing i have used to reduce oil for that amount of time.

i would say deffinitly get it. the only thing is the wash doesnt completely remove makeup. so i would gently wash your face before using it if you have makeup on.

the only thing for me is that my eyes swell up a little when i use it, so i can only use it when i get home from school. but this shouldnt be a problem for you since it is really rare that people are allergic to it.

but to clear your skin alot faster, every other time you use it, i would use a salycilic acid wipe to help get rid of excisting pimples. i use the wipe after washing and using the toner.

Also use it for the whole 60 days. and if it doesnt work for you then return it. becuase it doesnt work for some people to get rid of pimples completely if your face is severly covered with pimples. different products work for different people. use as directed everyday, never skip days.

hope this helps

• 4 years later...

I also have very oily skin. And at 22, it's not letting up, so don't believe that "it'll just go away" My mom, at 51, still has acne issues.

My experiences are pretty in depth and long running, but here's what I tried:

1. Milk Thistle helped me for about a year, until my body adjusted to the dosage. I didn't up it because it could interfere with my other meds. definitely worth a try

2. Proactiv. Worked very well for about two years, then stopped being effective. Also very expensive, more than I cared to pay. Make sure you aren't overdoing it though. I found with twice a day, my skin got more oily as it was trying to overcompensate for lost natural moisture.

3. Currently using CleanSkin by Avon. Exact same stuff as proactiv, but about half the price. I went down to using only once a day, and my oil problems have gotten significantly better.

Try getting some blotter sheets (Proactiv has them, so do drugstores) and use those to absorb excess oil through out the day.

For makeup I suggest ONLY using a mineral powder makeup. It won't dry your skin, provides enough coverage to cover up spots and blemishes, but is still very sheer so you won't look like a caked on makeup teenager. I use Micabella (not sure if they have that in the States, but I'm sure there's comparable stuff) For on the zit coverage, get a medicated conceler (proactiv, drugstores) and use very sparingly.

Don't forget: by stripping away the skins natural oils and adding synthetic moistuizers, you are prompting the skin to produce more oil to stay hydrated. The stuff in facial cleansers is harsher than you might imagine, and less is often more. I was using stuff 2-3 times a day and while my zits cleared up, my oil got worse. Now I only use acne stuff before bed to remove makeup and that's it, and my oil problem has gotten a lot better.

Good luck!