Moral Dilema

I cut. I have been cutting for 2 years now and was forced by my friends to seek help a year ago. Ive been through anti-depressants and changes of lifestyle etc. but in all honesty i don't think i really want to change. My problems are also attributes and i don't want to be someone i'm not. But i cant push my friends and familiy away can i? help?

I think you were pushed into being helped and that meant you weren't ready, which in my oppinion isn't right. People should wait until you go to them for help, that way the results will be much better.

Your parents and friends just care about you and want you to get better but it seems that their the ones who are pushing you even futher away.

Tell them you need a break from all the 'help' and nedd to do it on your own for a bit and work out a few thing. If they really want to help you their'll let you be. Hope some of this helps xxxxx

whether or not its a trait of yours, you have to try and quit. i don't know which ways are better for you, but you have to try and quit cutting because you can really really hurt yourself one day. you have to be safe. don't cut deep, don't cut near wrists, etc. you can do this, you just have to believe that you can get over this. i did..others have too. we're all behind you!

link removed

you can't really be helped when you don't want to be helped. if you're going to get better in the least, then you have decide that yourself. it's up to you. yes, psychiatrists, psycologists, and medication are a big part of it, but the most important thing in getting better is letting yourself getting better and wanting to get better. i guess you don't want to get better yet. sometimes it's a puzzle to me why somebody would not want to try and get over their pain and sadness. but i'm not you, and i don't know what's going through your mind. you might have a good reason not to want help. so if you aren't going to help yourself in such a way for now, then focus on the things that you can do. don't lose your friends. talk and communicate with them. let yourself be happy, and let yourself have fun. talk to your parents about how you feel. maybe you can come to a consensus with them. and maybe you could try to help someone else with problems similar to yours. stop them from doing some of the things you've done. i love helping people because it makes me not the one with the problems. maybe you'll feel the same way. so yeah, i think that that's just about all you can do for now, until you decide you're ready to be helped. hope everything turns out okay. i'll be out of town for a couple days, so if you reply to my pm, i may not reply back until saturday or sunday. good luck, and happy holidays. yeah, i don't know about you, but winter isn't my favorite season...(brr)...but try and make the best of it. good luck

you're addicted to this, even though you may not realize it. you don't want to stop because you're depending on this. don't depend on anything else but yourself! quitting this is such a liberating feeling. i've been there. once you stop relying on something else, it's such a great, free feeling. you just can't see it now. we're all here for you and support you. we care so much about everyone here and we don't want to see your keeping hurting yourself. it's not too late yet, so please, try and quit before it is in fact too late. you could one day slip up and cut too deep..or cut your wrist in the wrong place or SOMETHING. just please, realize that you can quit and that's its the best thing for you. i know you don't really see it now, but it's because youre addicted to it. i promise, the feeling once you quit is better than what you're feeling now. you can do this, i know! and we're all behind you. there are tons of support groups and great resources on self-help on the net, please look them up. and please, give this site a good luck, it was sooo helpful for me. if i can do it, you can too and i promise you won't be disappointed. take care!

i think that thisisnotanexit is only trying to help. BUt if you don't want to stop thats up to you its your decision. And its all up to you. I think that if you wanted to stop treatment to ask i'm not sure of your age but i do know that doctors can't force you into treatment. BUt if you are under age i think your parents can force you.But i'm not completely sure. Sorry

finch

as long as you are under your parents control there isn't much you can do when it comes to your treatment options.

As a therapist myself, if someone in your situation wanted to end sessions but still wanted to continue the destructive behavior, I'd recommend to the parents to send the child to an in-patient treatment center. In that venue, you would be forced to stop cutting and deal with your issues...

thought you may want to know what path you are heading down...

because cutting isn't NORMAL BEHAVIOR for a person...if it was, it would be something everyone did from the day they were born. It is not good to have an obsssion with wanting to hurt yourself...controlled or otherwise.

You can't say it is the "way I am" because you weren't always this way...it is the way you have become, sure...but people become a lot of things that they shouldn't, like alcoholics, chronic gamblers, drug users...

by cutting, sure you control your pain...but do you realize you put anyone who knows about what you do into their own, uncontrollable pain? You jmake yourself feel empowered while leaving people you care about feeling helpless...is that your intention?

cutting is a form of OCD obsessive compulsive disorder....it's a disfunction in your brain's chemical production and distribution...it isn't YOU.

of coarse i dont meen to hurt anyone else. + i dont bcoz nobodie cares about me and nobody will. i will rot in my coffin before ne1 actually properly cared. its isn't like being an acoholic though is it. it isn't doing my body any really serious harm so if i want to keep doing it and it doesn't affect ne1 then why cant i keep doing it?

finch

your perception that no one cares is incorrect...you wouldn't be being FORCED into therapy if no one cared about you...you are looking at it as some sort of punishment...when it is actually a form of help.

people don't help people they don't care about.

what do you mean by "properly" care about you?

What if something you cut yourself with has some bacteria on it some day and you get a bad infection? That infection will be in your blood and can do all sorts of permanent damage to your entire body...you ARE hurting yourself potentially that way and for each cut you make...you are hurting your mind. AND you are hurting the people that care about you.

of coarse i dont meen to hurt anyone else. + i dont bcoz nobodie cares about me and nobody will. i will rot in my coffin before ne1 actually properly cared. its isn't like being an acoholic though is it. it isn't doing my body any really serious harm so if i want to keep doing it and it doesn't affect ne1 then why cant i keep doing it?

i care, we all do! don't forget that