mix-signals vs. no signals

emma34

soo in the last month I have gone on four dates with this guy, as well as drinks with mutual friends. We have spoken on the phone many times, but only really had one long conversation. I don't think he's really a phone person. Usually, I am fairly forward in dating, but b/c this boy is a hockey player (and thru friends I know the reputation his team has - dirty) I have not been very forward. I have only called him to return calls, although I have e-mailed him twice and been very open to spending time with him. I'm sure he has got the signal I am interested. My best friend's boyfriend is a friend of his, thereforeeee I know that he has not been with any other girls. He has kissed me goodbye everytime we've been together, but made very little attempt at anything else. I called him on Saturday to see if he wanted to do something, but he was on his way for the holidays. I know for a fact he is not shy with girls, and it has become very confusing. I suppose it is possible he just really likes me or something and doesn't want to be too forward, but he doesn't make a lot of attempt to contact me. I have to ask myself 'are we dating or not?' Any ideas/opinions?