Ack... I screwed up. :/

MattW

So I've been taking classes at a community college for about five years, now. Always kinda floated around aimlessly because I never knew what I wanted to do. I ended up taking business classes (not because I liked it, I actually hate it, to be honest, but it seemed easy enough). I was going to get an associates degree from said community college in business, then evaluate what I wanted to do next (work towards a bachelors in business, or what). All I need for that degree is one more class, so I figured I'd take that class online over the summer (I've taken plenty of online classes before, so that wasn't an issue) and be done with it.

Shortly after this class started, I began to realize what I wanted to do, career-wise, and found a school that teaches it, and began taking classes there. The problem is, once I started taking these classes elsewhere, I pretty much completely stopped caring about the online class at the community college. I'm looking at the remaining list of assignments and my current point total for this online class, and even if I get a perfect score on all the remaining assignments (which is unlikely), I'm pretty sure I still won't pass this class...

On one hand, I'm kind of mad at myself, because I had to spend money to take this online class, so I wasted a few hundred dollars for nothing. But where I'm at now, I'm trying to decide if I should retake this class and get that two year degree, or just forget it and focus on the school I'm at now. I'd really like to have that two year business degree to fall back on, and I just need to take this one last class for it, but now that I'm getting a more interesting education elsewhere, I just find myself not caring about doing work for another class that I have no real interest in.

What do you guys think?

I would suck it up and do it. I am going to school for psychology/social work and for my associates, it's a difference of like 2 classes, so of course I will take an extra 2 classes. I don't know what the program for my bachelors will be like yet as far as the differences in the two go, but if it's only an extra semester to get my bachelors in both, I plan on doing that.

Suck it up and do it now, you will thank yourself in the long run. Also, at my school, if you retake a class you failed, it raises your GPA.

Since you only have one class left, you should finish, even if you have to take it again. If you don't, all the boring work you put into the degree so far (not to mention the money, and I think you mentioned that your parents weren't paying the fees) will pretty much go to waste. In this economy you really need a fall-back plan, and I don't think you want it to be retail since you've said a few times that you're sick of retail.

Archived