Hmmmm....17/22....can it work?

Alright....I met this guy at a restaurant and ended up giving him my picture and phone number. So the next day he calls me and we end up talking for over an hour. He called me again today and we talked for another 2 hours.

The problem is I kinda feel odd about pursuing this relationship because of the 5 year age gap.

I dunno.....any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Age gaps are hard, especially when one person is "legal" and the other isn't. You can try to see how things pan out, but just take them really slow and just start out being "friends". Don't get to into the relationship, as from people I've met, most guys only like a young girl for a little bit, until they get to the point where they can't put up with the restrictions (not being able to go to clubs, and stuff like that). But sometimes it works too, only if both people really like it. My friend is 24 and his g/f is just turning 20, and they've been together for 3 years. It can happen, it just takes time and work for both people.

I'm 18 and my boyfriend is 23 (he's turning 24 in a month)...we've been in a relationship for almost a year now so it HAS worked with the same age gap at the same age...it'll be better of course when you're older and the age gap doesn't seem as great but as long as you get along, no problem If you do want to start a relationship though I do suggest being up front with your parents...my parents were a little wary about me dating a guy that much older but he talked to them and we talked to them and they're totally supportive now...

• 2 months later...

I think it all depends on the person. Me and my recently ex-G/F are 5 years apart. I was 24 and she was 19 when we first met. It was towards the end of the year so when we actually got together I was 25 and she was 20. Anyways everything was always good. We were together for 3 years last december 21. She has left me last dec. 13, almost 3 years. She's starting her new career and made some new friends. All of a sudden she doesn't want to or is not ready for such a committed relationship as ours. I think part of it is because of our age gap. She's at the stage where everything is coming together for her, she starting to get into who she is and wanting to live life for what it has to offer. While I have already done all that and slowing down to the point where I want to settle down. Even though I never mentioned anything about marriage, she knew that it was evident. I think it scared her since everything is just starting to come together for her. When you're 28 and your G/F is 23 then the % years start to become a very big gap, since you're both in different stages of your life. Then again not everyone is the same. I wished she could have stayed and we could work things out since I am willing to give her the space she needed as long as she proved how much she always said she loved me. In the end I think our age has just caught up with us and we're both at different stages of our lives.

• 2 weeks later...

My parents are about five years apart, been together for some twenty-odd years now. I'm dating someone eleven years older then I am [i'm 17, he's 28]. I say if you're comfortable with the person and you like the person, then date the person. See if things grow. Age shouldn't be the factor in deciding wether or not to have a relationship with a person unless of course it's illegal Just my opinion.