that's not the word I was thinking...

Lately I been typing something and I go and reread and I'm like what? I was typing a letter and it ended up saying "we have a huge probably with wasps!" I was thinking problem not probably and that just what ended up there. It happens here and there. I don't know, has this happened to anyone else? It's not just a one time thing I have done it several times this month.

(Yes, yes, I know we aren't doctors here and I should see one if needed but I'm curious if this is just something I'm doing or happened to anyone else?)

It's scary when this happens. Something similar happens to me: I am a real stickler for grammar. I know how to use it and I don't like seeing it used wrong. But sometimes I'll be typing and look back at what I've written and unbelievably, I've written "their" instead of "there", or "your" instead of "you're". I know this stuff inside out and backwards, innately. It freaks me out when I notice that apparently I wrote it wrong without even realizing. I guess the good news is, now I know that those kinds of mistakes happen to everyone and it doesn't mean someone's grammar is bad because they make a couple of mistakes. It is freaky though.

I call them "brain farts" or "brain seizures" lol.

All seizures are brain seizures! Haha

OP- This happens to me all the time. I think that it's just because we're thinking a lot faster than we can type and it's tough for our brains to play catch up. Therefore, they approximate when necessary. Like someone else said, it's even more likely to happen with things like the difference between "your" and "you're" since the difference isn't necessarily "heard" by our brain meaning it requires a more conscious level of analysis and so, when in a rush, is easily confused or forgotten.

Basically, I wouldn't worry about it!

I do it all the time. I think it is easily done when you're typing because, like loveology said above and especially with me, my fingers work faster than my brain and they predict their own word. Many people even say the wrong word too. For example, my daughter came in the other day announcing she had just bought some doughnuts. I had just happened to click on something I wasn't meant to on my computer and went to say "oh, what was I thinking" instead, in light of my daughter's announcement, I said "oh, what was I eating"!

Yeah, I definitely wouldn't worry about it!

Archived