Has anyone done a dissertation?

Hi everyone..

I'm in my final year at university and wanting some tips on how to write a 1st class dissertation..

I'm doing a research project/experiment so I know I need to explain these, and I plan to explain them as different studies.

At the moment I am about to start my introduction which needs to be 3-4 thousand words.. I haven't started my data collection yet, but I know I can get my methods section done etc.

So anyway, tips please? what to/not to include?

Thanks all,

Butters

What's your subject? And what's the total length of the dissertation?

One thing I will suggest is that if you're having trouble getting started with it, just write some of the "easier" bits first - you don't have to begin writing at the beginning and carry on to the end.

In fact, if you know what your conclusions are going to be, it's sometimes easier to write the conclusions first (at least in outline) then explain how you got there.

I'm doing it on the effects of insomnia and restricted sleep on academic achievement.

Ah, okay, I hope you're not using yourself as a test subject.

My dissertation was in art history so I can't really speak for the sciences. But for what it's worth, I'd suggest you:

- State the question, in summary.

- State the approach, in summary.

- Explore in more detail the question, why it is important, what work has been done on it before, what further questions that raises.

- Explore in more detail the approach, explaining why each aspect of it is the right one to address these particular questions.

Try to structure your thoughts on each of these things in bullet points (which doesn't mean you actually have to use bullet points in the final document). Then work through them one at a time. It doesn't matter if you get them in the right order to start with, you can always move text around later. But keep separate issues distinct from one another so that you can edit easily, and to show that you understand they are separate issues.

I'm sure there are example dissertations floating around online that you could look at for an idea of structure.

I'd be happy to look it over at some point when you're a bit more advanced with it and see if I can give you any help with structure - I'm a professional writer and editor, though not - as I said - in the sciences. Just stick it on some random Web server and private message me the address.

Hi there,

This is my approach to all my dissertations I have compiled over the years.

It begins on facts, and facts alone. Accumulate all the information you can, and the start to paint the picture for yourself, cover all the angles. The problem statement will formulate from this.

In each section you will be able to write the introduction, and the challenge/focus area from this.

The findings need to be fully thought through on a strategical level, do NOT stipulate logical findings, but instead try to focus on interrelated causes, factors or cross critical issues, and make your findings from there. You need to provide evidence in your writings for your findings, or you can attach (annex) documents to prove your points.

With the recommendations part you need to once again be thoughtful, thinking outside the square (box) is indeed good practice and it shouldn't be too complex or add to the problem rather than solving it.

Your conclusion should be your motivation for why you say what you say. It naturally brings the whole document together. Do not repeat your findings or recommendations, but rather try and talk in a non jargon and more logical manner here.

Once again, facts rule, and the rest makes the sense of it all.

Remember your referencing, a good place to start is not wikipedia, but the references wikipedia provides, so if you want to do electronic research go read those documents, it helps.

From what I've heard, we need one reference for every 250 words we write, which apparently adds up to between 40-60 (yikes!)..

In each section we need to write an intro? what do you mean by that?

We have to write an introduction and explain previous research, and how my research leads on from others.. do you mean introduce each previous piece as its own rather than as part of something else?

We cant use wiki those references are ignored lol.. I use google scholar and my uni web library.. How many books to journals would you recommend?

I'll upload my research proposal in a few mins..

From what I've heard, we need one reference for every 250 words we write, which apparently adds up to between 40-60 (yikes!).

I wouldn't stick to that too obsessively. As long as it averages out, you're on the right track.

In each section we need to write an intro? what do you mean by that?

Don't just leap straight into details - quickly introduce why the section is important, what the salient points are. For example:

The effects of X and Y on Z can be measured in a number of ways. These include A, B, and C. While A has often been criticised for D, B and C are regarded as robust, especially where E is involved. The decision as to which methodology is employed is critical in accurately ascertaining F and G.

Then you can go into describing each of those individual issues in detail. Think of the intro as being the "headlines" that anybody reading really needs to know, even if they're not going to read the whole section.

We have to write an introduction and explain previous research, and how my research leads on from others.. do you mean introduce each previous piece as its own rather than as part of something else?

I would explain previous research in the context of the important issues, rather than just discussing the pieces of research in isolation. For example, if the key issues are J and K

On the issue of J, the authors L, M, N and P all hold such-and-such, although Q has countered this-and-that.

There is less consensus on K, where L and M believe the sky is blue, while N and P hold it is red and Q has argued that it is stripey.[/i]

We cant use wiki those references are ignored lol

I think the suggestion was not that you use Wikipedia articles as references, but use the conventionally published material referenced by Wikipedia (at the end of each article). That's very often exactly the same stuff you'll find on Google Scholar and in the university library...it would be slightly bizarre to prohibit it!

Yes I agree...yikes! I've had referencing almost as long as the dissertation itself, and referencing it correctly is almost a study in itself. You can add any reference, as long as you do not use their findings as yours, but if the facts need to be substantiated. I'm not saying use the wikipedia references as your own, I'm saying its a good place to start your reading.

The sections are up to you, how you would like to structure it. For example, how are you going to break this up? An option is to break it up between students who experience voluntary insomnia to two to four hours of sleep, another section 1 to 2 hours, and three the students who do not experience too much of insomnia but who either flunk or just just make it, and fourthly the relationship you find between sleep voluntary sleep deprivation and grades, stress could also be a separate section, or even financial pressures / social demands on sleep deprivation. Its all up to you. Each section needs an intro about why you are addressing this specific issue, even if it is only "To ensure the relevance of the previous findings in alternate circumstances/personalities"

A problem statement is not just one problem, its made up of many challenges or many factors addressing a more complex and integrated situation, and I like to discuss each challenge/situation/factor separately, it builds a more effective document in the end, if you bring it together successfully. This is not a weekend job hey, its ongoing and takes a lot of interviews, reading, writing, thinking, re-writing, re-interviews, re-thinking. Good luck!

Archived