Maxillofacial (Jaw) Surgery

So, last year I saw a dentist for the first time a long time because I had been grinding my teeth, having trouble chewing and a few other problem. The dentist told me I needed to have jaw surgery.

My jaws are out of alignment, my lower jaw kept growing after my upper job stopped. This means my back teeth come together but my front teeth do not. For a variety of reasons I did not get the surgery last year. One of the primary reasons was me being scared for having surgery. I have finally decided that I can't wait any longer. My teeth have been bothering me more and more.

So, I'm wondering is anyone here has had jaw surgery. I'm especially concerned about the trigeminal nerve being damaged during surgery. I will of course ask the doctor a lot of question when I make an appointment for a consultation. But I was hoping someone else has been through this and can give me some advice and guidance.

In my early 20s I had 4 severely impacted wisdom teeth and that required an oral surgeon cutting out pieces of my jaw to dig them out. They made me watch a video and sign a release regarding the possibility of nerve damage which definitely freaked me out. Leaving the teeth in wasn't an option so I had the surgery and thankfully everything turned out fine. Be sure to ask the doctor as many questions as you have about the actual surgery, your recovery, and anything else. It is part of their job to fully explain everything and put you at ease.

Oh and just a suggestion for after the surgery. You probably won't be able to chew anything or use straws for a little while, but you still need to eat. The mistake I made was not selecting anything with protein in it so I was always hungry and it hurt to eat. No fun. I'd suggest protein shakes because even if you have to use a spoon they're more filling than ice cream or jello.

Thank you. Ya, that whole "not being able to eat" thing also freaks me out. Since you could not use a straw how did you eat?

When I've had oral surgery (not jaw surgery) I ate a lot of smoothies, blended soups, oatmeal, applesauce, yogurt, tapioca. Almost any meal can be made into a blended soup with a little added broth. (Except maybe salads.) I recommend getting an immersion blender if you don't have one—makes it much quicker and easier all around.

I had my bite fixed a few years ago, not by surgery but by adjusting some crowns, and it made a huge difference. Not only could I chew better, but I felt younger!

I hope all goes well with your procedure and recovery, Moontiger.

When I've had oral surgery (not jaw surgery) I ate a lot of smoothies, blended soups, oatmeal, applesauce, yogurt, tapioca. Almost any meal can be made into a blended soup with a little added broth. (Except maybe salads.) I recommend getting an immersion blender if you don't have one—makes it much quicker and easier all around.

I had my bite fixed a few years ago, not by surgery but by adjusting some crowns, and it made a huge difference. Not only could I chew better, but I felt younger!

I hope all goes well with your procedure and recovery, Moontiger.

Thank you! I'm trying to choose a doctor right now. I want to be very careful and thoughtful about my choice I'm going to go around to a few and ask some question, see who I click with ya know?

Thank you! I'm trying to choose a doctor right now. I want to be very careful and thoughtful about my choice I'm going to go around to a few and ask some question, see who I click with ya know?

I had a pretty significant surgery a few years ago and my wife, who then was working at a hospital, really helped me pick a great doctor. It probably seems like common sense, but the way she went about finding him was different than how I had ever picked out a doctor before. What she did was tons of internet research, including sending emails and even phone calls, on the procedure to find out who the absolute experts were in the field - the guys writing the papers, doing the research, hospitals that are known to specialize in certain things, etc. The result was phenomenal - surgery worked great and was as good of an experience as it could have been.

I had a pretty significant surgery a few years ago and my wife, who then was working at a hospital, really helped me pick a great doctor. It probably seems like common sense, but the way she went about finding him was different than how I had ever picked out a doctor before. What she did was tons of internet research, including sending emails and even phone calls, on the procedure to find out who the absolute experts were in the field - the guys writing the papers, doing the research, hospitals that are known to specialize in certain things, etc. The result was phenomenal - surgery worked great and was as good of an experience as it could have been.

That's a really good idea. I'll keep that in mind as I look. Thanks!

Thank you. Ya, that whole "not being able to eat" thing also freaks me out. Since you could not use a straw how did you eat?

The doctor said I could use a fork or spoon with no trouble, but that wasn't the case. During the surgery the anesthesia (I had a valium IV) wore off twice and I woke up both times completely aware of everything going on and how much my face hurt. I'm quite thin so the surgeon didn't want to give me too much valium, but apparently underestimated how much I would need. They ended up giving me 4 shots of novocane and increased the IV drip to finish the procedure. Afterwards I couldn't use silverware with my chipmunk face for a few weeks. To eat I seriously just tipped my head back and poured liquid stuff in, but often I just spilled most of it. I couldn't even close my mouth or chew so yeah it was just gross lol.

Oh and that reminds me of another thing. They will prescribe pain killers for you to take after the surgery. Do not let them give you codeine. I don't care how cheap it is or how they swear its effective. Yeah it's effective at irritating the lining of your empty stomach and then making you vomit when your entire mouth is essentially an open sore. Waking up and feeling the surgery was less painful than vomiting with my chipmunk face, so trust me when I say no codeine. Ask them to give you something that won't irritate an empty stomach.

Wikes! I'm a small woman (130lbs 5' 6") so this is good to know.

Yeah I am and was then about that size, so be sure to talk about anesthesia options with the doctor and what they will do should you wake up during surgery. If you've never had anesthesia before then also ask about side effects.

In a not related note: I have had really weird sleeping habits lately. I have a phone interview at 10am, its now 3am and I cannot sleep.

I have to wait for my insurance card to show up before I move forward with this. It's weird, I've been so scared of this surgery that even after applying for health insurance I never thought I would get it. Now that I have been approved and just need the card to arrive...it seems less scary.

Well perhaps knowing that it will be paid for is what is easing your mind? When I needed to have my surgery I was in college at the time and postponed it for 6 months stressing over how to pay for it. I was uninsured and even if I'd gotten insurance less than half of the cost would have been covered. I got really lucky and was referred to a teaching hospital in my university system where the experienced surgeon would do it in front of a class of students for a much lower price. It was awkward having so many eyes on me, but what I paid out of pocket was less than what I would have paid with insurance coverage so the procedure was less daunting.

Lol, ya that must be it. I called my dad who has a lot of contacts in the medical world to see if he knew any oral surgeons. He doesn't but is seeing my childhood orthodontist this week and is going to ask him for recommendations. I also emailed my uncle who's a dentist for advice.

I spent most of last night on youtube watching videos of people who have gotten oral surgery. Weeks and weeks of recovery...

Lol, ya that must be it. I called my dad who has a lot of contacts in the medical world to see if he knew any oral surgeons. He doesn't but is seeing my childhood orthodontist this week and is going to ask him for recommendations. I also emailed my uncle who's a dentist for advice.

I spent most of last night on youtube watching videos of people who have gotten oral surgery. Weeks and weeks of recovery...

Apparently age plays a big factor here. When I had my wisdom teeth pulled I was 21 and the surgeon kept saying that was really old and I'd have a longer recovery time which increases the risk of infection. As if it was my fault they didn't try to come in sooner, geez. But he was right about the lengthy recovery. I had the surgey in mid December and wasn't able to fully close my mouth for 3 weeks. Once I reached that milestone I spent another 5 weeks with a puffy face and then it took over 6 months for the open wounds where they dug out my teeth to heal and close completely.

Archived