30 yrs old too old to start?

I'm currently 27 yrs old, attending a community college. 1 year from now, ill be transferring to a university for computer engineering and ill be graduating when I'm 30 years old.

Is it too old to start a computer engineering career with great potential? Or will my age affect my chances to reach managerial/high positions?

Depends on what you mean by 'with great potential'. Your age isn't going to be a problem regarding getting a job. If you're interested in being a manager and just using engineering as a stepping stone to that, then your age might help as you might be viewed as more mature, but if you actually want to be a good manager, it would be best to have some business/management background. Management and engineering are almost opposite disciplines.

Guess what...in three years you will be 30 no matter if you go to school or you don't! I don't know your personal situation, but if it is going to make a significant difference in your life (happiness, income, quality of life) then I think it is a must to follow your dreams/passions. You only get one go around so you might as well do what you enjoy.

I don't think it's going to matter that much. In a technical field like that I think they're looking at what you know how to do with computers, not your age or even your personality that much. Plus starting late is better than working a lower-paying job for the rest of your life and having no chance to be really successful at all.

Depends on what you mean by 'with great potential'. Your age isn't going to be a problem regarding getting a job. If you're interested in being a manager and just using engineering as a stepping stone to that, then your age might help as you might be viewed as more mature, but if you actually want to be a good manager, it would be best to have some business/management background. Management and engineering are almost opposite disciplines.

I was planning on obtaining an MBA after a few years of experience in engineering if it can help set me up for growth within a/the company.

Archived