Open Club  ·  31 members  ·  Free

Travel and Culture

What's London/Paris like?

Sukiyaki

London is beautiful! Actually, every place I visited in England was beautiful. I love England, it's one of my favorite places.

In all honesty, I didn't like Paris. I went after having visited England. I found Paris to be depressing. I was in Paris for 4 days, and I couldn't wait for those days to be over, so I could go somewhere else. I felt it was really dirty, and I remember seeing dead plants. Anywho, that was just Paris, other parts of France I enjoyed.

I found that you have to attempt to speak French. Even if you know only a few words. People love it when you try. If you don't try, people won't act friendly towards you. OMG!!!! The croissants and cheese! Sooooooo delicious! It's all I wanted to eat every day. I would dream about having it in the morning.

Oh, that's another thing, keep a careful eye on your money. I was pick-pocketed at Notre Dame. It can get a little hectic and crowded in the gift shop.

Anywho, you are going to have sooooooooo much fun! In general.

So it would be important to save my money lol Ah, gotcha I was also going to see if I could apply for work study.

I don't know what it's like today, but when I lived in London students could work for up to 21 hours or something like that a week. You need a job offer first and then you can go and collect your national insurance (tax) number.

I second this. I absolutely love London! It is the friendliest city I have ever visited, and has such a fascinating history. It is also a theatre hotspot, so if you enjoy live performances it is the place to be. It is beautiful, and there is lots to see and do. If at all possible, I would love to live there someday- even if only for a year or 2.

I also visited Paris after London, and I had the same impression of it being dirty and rude. Luckily I was studying French at the time, so I knew enough of the language to get by for the few days I was there. However, some of the other students in my group went into a restaurant, tried to order in English and got yelled at until they left.

I was almost pick-pocketed on a subway in Paris. Be very cautious with your money everywhere you go, but maybe more so in Paris.

Yeah I've read in a lot of places, even my old French teacher backed it up, that the French would really appreciate it if you gave their language a try. It shows that you're interested and not ignorant to the culture. If you automatically just speak in English then, the result is..well..that lol

And yeah 'm very interested in Theatre I can't wait to start saving for it.

Archived