Trying so hard to make things work

river82

Hi,

I have been on mat leave since June of last year. It was really hard for me to leave work at first as I have been so determined to build a career for myself. Before going on mat leave, I was beginning to work with Accounts Payable, and was so anxious to get all the experience I could with it before leaving. One of my coworkers I believe was quite happy I was leaving so she would not longer have me as a threat trying to get more accounting work.

Now that it is coming soon for me to need to go back to work, I am a little disheartened. I have been applying for many jobs, and have so far not had an opportunity work out. I do not want to go back to my previous work place as they would actually be giving me less accounting work than I was getting before. I have been really down lately.

Any thoughts or advice would mean a lot to me.

Thank you..

I can empathize with you a bit. Job searching can be very frustrating. You may have to consider taking work with less accounting and working your way toward more accounting opportunities within than company (be it a new one or your previous one). Although you feel you have gained valuable experience, there might be other factors affecting your chances (for example the competition might be fierce or the employer's perception of your skills based on your time away from work-unfortunately). In my opinion, it is a good idea to keep your options as open as possible and though it might feel like a set back, finding a job where you can retrain for some of the skills you had begun to work on at your previous job might be your best bet to give employers the impression that you are new, sharp, and ready to work without too much training.

Archived