online dating - real potentials or just for fun

goodkarma_1

Hey, Ok - so online dating...specifically Okcupid - are there real potentials on that site (or other dating sites) or just a place to mingle and hookup casually. My co worker egged me on to join OKCUPID and I have met a few on there. 1 of the 2 we had great conversation and lots in common. Went out on a few dates and eventually he lost interest and the communication slowly dwindled down. His lost, whatever. As far as the other dude, we email/text all the time but he lives 6 hours away from me which is a shame I'm not looking to deeply into that one but its nice to talk to someone and besides he makes me laugh. Anyhow, what are your opinions or experiences with online dating? I'm asking particularity about okcupid because its a free dating site and that may have an impact vs say Eharmony etc. Thoughts?

I've never tried online dating, and probably never will. From what I've heard, any site, free or paid, is hit or miss. Some people get lucky, many seem to walk away with frustration. Free is likely to attract a lot of scammers and people look for casual hookups, while paid may be a little more serious and weed out some of the fakes. Not to say that many don't make it on there. Just keep your wits about you, don't settle, and don't take people at their word, let their actions speak for them. It's hard to walk that line between being open to others while being realistic and avoiding the bad apples.

Just keep your wits about you, don't settle, and don't take people at their word, let their actions speak for them.

ahh this is good advice - thanks. Yes, I try not to take it serously and not expect anything. My world is mostly consumed by work which makes it hard to get out and meet people. I never in a million years thought I would try online dating and ...lol...here I am. Over the years I have forced myself to "get out there" and it never seemed to work so this is the last resort I guess. I mean anything could happen outside in life but so far it hasn't. Just curious why wouldnt you try dating online?

Although I am a male, lots of fakes on there. I mainly do it out of bordum but as a male they(females) are all full of XXit, lairs or just playing around. I got sucked into the link removed and its all the same people on the free sites or females who think they are the greatest thing that ever walked the earth.

From a guys view its easier to get _aid on a online site then it is say going to a bar. That may give you a idea of whats on there.

Although I am a male, lots of fakes on there. I mainly do it out of bordum but as a male they(females) are all full of XXit, lairs or just playing around. I got sucked into the link removed and its all the same people on the free sites or females who think they are the greatest thing that ever walked the earth.

From a guys view its easier to get _aid on a online site then it is say going to a bar. That may give you a idea of whats on there.

Sadly, the bad apples give the honest people out there a bad name. The old once bitten, twice shy mentality or fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. If you're going to go online to seek a legitimate relationship, then you can get discouraged by the dishonest people, you have to persevere and keep looking. If you're trying to find something casual, then be honest about what you want.

Sadly, the bad apples give the honest people out there a bad name. The old once bitten, twice shy mentality or fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. If you're going to go online to seek a legitimate relationship, then you can get discouraged by the dishonest people, you have to persevere and keep looking. If you're trying to find something casual, then be honest about what you want.

Couldnt agree more. I dated outside online and had bad apples and been discouraged many times. I have grown a thick skin and keep moving if I see the guy starts to play games. It sucks when you like them more than they do but I guess thats all a part of dating. sigh...why does it have to be so hard. Why can two people just mesh and be on the same page

most of the people i think uses that for hookups or w/e. also if the guy (mainly the girl) is ugly she can forget it will get rejected, passed over before she even start based on pictures. thats mainly the guys go off of on there, if they don't like the pictures no reason to waste any further time on her.

thats mainly the guys go off of on there, if they don't like the pictures no reason to waste any further time on her.

yes, and thats so unfortunate but the truth. other than the site I go out every so often and havent had luck. Im trying to take matters in my own hands because the universe hasn't been any help

OkCupid supposedly has more intelligent users who are looking for more meaningful relationships. They do studies, have matching algorithms, and pretty in-depth profiles for a free dating site.

I didn't use OKC, but I met my current boyfriend on a dating site. We've been quite happily together for about a year and a half.

I went on a lot of dates for a few months and then met my guy (only been "exclusive" for about a week officially now). It's like any other situation in dating. People are the same no matter how you meet them. It can get discouraging but it only takes that first great date. For the record, I was on Match and actually met a few really great guys. They're out there looking just like you are.

Archived