Unemployed and going no where in life :(

I lost my job a few months ago and I can not find any work. I'm tired and upset that I can not find any job in my field, so I can have a career and move on in life. I turned 33 not to long ago and I feel like I'm way behind in life and going no where. I still live at home, I never dated or had gf, I drive a ugly beat up junker car, I can not go out and have fun becuase it cost money, which I do not have. A lot of my friends I know are married, have good jobs, nice cars, nice houses, and able to live a comfortable life. I ask myself, "Why can't I make a living and a live comfortable life?" I'm educated with 2 bachelor degrees and I still can not believe that I'm not making a living. I have a BS in Automotive Technology from Ferris State in 2002 and I have not had any luck finding any jobs in the automotive field. My second bachelor is in HR Managment with a minor in Marketing from ISU in 2008, and still I'm stuck in the same situation as I was with my first degree. I can not find any work in the HR field. A lot of the jobs I see requires 5 plus yrs experience and a lot them requires being bilingual, which I'm not. I did a internship doing HR work and I was there for about 2 years. I want to work in the HR field but I can not find work. I have applied to hundreds of jobs and I had a few interviews but nothing at all. I know there is a lot of competition, more people with more experience that beats me to the job and I hate it! I feel as the years go by my education and work experience is just going to get old and old and it will be worthless.

I'm stuck in life and still not able to climb up the ladder. Not making a living is the most down breaking part of my life right now. Being unemployed and not making a living is like a disease. I hate living in society and not making any money and being able to live life. I sometimes ask myself, "What is the point of living life, when I can not make money" Without making a living, I can not survive at all. Why me??? Why does this stuff happen to me? Bad luck?? Did I choose the wrong careers? Not praying hard enough to GOD? Why did GOD put me on this earth if I can not make a living? All my brothers and sisters all have good jobs and living a good life, so why not me? I want to have a life, I want to date, have my first gf, have a nice decent car, my own house, but I can not have that stuff without making a living. I'm just really sick and tired sometimes waking up everyday and nothing changes. I do apply for jobs everyday but nothing. I'm getting old and I can not be doing this forever. Living life is not easy at all](*,) What should I do? If you were me, what would you do?

If you have some exposure to the HR world, you already know that HR departments get flooded with resumes each day. It's not the best route to get a job because of all that competition. If you still want to be in HR or in any field for that matter, you should be spending your hours networking with people in those fields. You should be spending time to learn new skills that will benefit you in new careers as well as in personal development. Much of this can be free because there is a ton of resources at the public libraries and other offices. You must have heard that the more people, especially the right people you know, the better. Well, you have to ask yourself if you really actively went out there and made connections. Networking and more education are key here.

Did you have any professors you cultivated relationships with during your studies? How about career services offices where you went to school--do they serve alumni? (Most do!) Why not at least try contacting them? How about your family--if you say your brothers and sisters are doing well, can you talk to them for some advice?

Are you able to get unemployment benefits? If you lost the job through no fault of your own and can receive (or are receiving) benefits, you may be able to approach your local office for some more career placement help.

I am sorry this is a difficult time for you. I lost my job six months ago and am still looking for work, even with active networking. But doing that at least empowers me to know more about what is out there and open, and lets me begin to cultivate relationships that will hopefully lead to the next step in my career.

This is from my own personal observation, but one of the issues you may be having is the unbelievable glut of terminal MA/MS grads in the Behavioral Sciences in the work force. A huge number of individuals in their mid-20's weren't able to find employment three years ago and entered a terminal Psychology grad program. Now you're competing with MSW's, I/O Psych MS's (huge competition), General Psych MA's and various other related degrees that companies are interesting in hiring. You also have to include HR reps that were laid off/are being laid off with years of experience that have entered the market. Are you that passionate about HR? There are no other fields that would interest you? Have you thought of doing a post-bacc certificate or finding a terminal grad program that would interest you?

Regarding God damning you; no, I think you can dismiss that theory. This is an absolutely horrid job market with millions of skilled, highly-educated humans unemployed, with an equal (if not greater) number underemployed. Have you applied to jobs outside of your immediate field? If I stuck with my undergrad field, I'd probably still be unemployed after my military medical discharge. I'm underemployed, but at least my bills are paid.

It seems like the best course of action would be to break it all down into manageable pieces. Your post hit on a lot of different problems, so you might want to decide what's most important and focus on tackling that issue.

In your case, it sounds like finding a job is the number one priority right now. Forget about relationships, items you'd like to buy, etc.

A lot of the time success at finding work is more about who you know than what you know. You mentioned you did an internship. Perhaps that contact can lead you to other contacts? You can also search your area and offer to volunteer in some capacity for a non-profit, which could lead to a job. And make sure you are networking in other ways, too, like chamber of commerce meetings, meetup groups, whatever.

Also, be open to taking a lesser job if it's at a place you want to work. Sometimes just getting a foot in the door can be helpful, and if you have no income now, a small income can't possibly hurt.

And finally, be more positive. That will help a lot.

Pfft, junker cars have character. I also don't really trust someone with a fancy BMW as much as I trust someone with a cheap, old car.

Employment-wise, I've been stuck in a rut also, since graduating college last year. Most everyone I know who graduated recently (within the last few years) has been. It's just the way things are. One thing I've learned, though, is that it's not a good idea to be too reliant on applying for jobs via the web, for a couple reasons: one, you're applying up against hundreds of others that way, versus a lower amount if you can somehow inquire about a job directly with someone. Second, applying to positions in other cities or states in particular is a waste of time, because in a lot of industries (including mine, or my intended one anyway) they won't even look at a resume if the person does not already live nearby. It's just easier to get someone who can interview within the week they call, and who doesn't need to relocate.

My personal solution to this problem is that I personally plan to change states pretty soon in order to get a leg up in looking for work. At this point, I don't have much to lose; however, I realize not everyone would be able to do this (for financial or other reasons).

That said, it may be that you need to somehow force an equal change in your life, assuming you have the capability. Ask yourself whether you're in the right place (location and otherwise) to find work right now, and if not, figure out what you can do to put yourself there.

I'm still with the career services at my school. I always look at the job postings and I have applied to many jobs before. The career service advisor looked over my resume and cover letter and it is all good. I also attend job fairs around my area. All my brothers and sisters are pharmacists, and their fields are way different than mine. I do get unemployment benefits but it is not much at all, not enough to live and survive.

I did apply to grad school and I was not accepted.

What field of study? Was your GPA above a 3.0? Decent GRE scores? Prestigious program? I can understand a state or city school wait listing or rejecting you because of the lack of space, but outside of the hard sciences, engineering and top-tier programs, most applicants will find a private graduate school more than willing to take your cash.

My daughter had difficulty securing a job as a teacher. She was able to find a job teaching English abroad. The requirement for doing that is a B.A., and it can be in any major. What is particularly important is that you are a native speaker of Engllsh. A person who speaks English with an accent is not acceptable. Just the fact that you speak English is something that is prized. Her studio apartment is paid for by the school. She does not need a car. Her apartment is accross the street from the school. She uses the bus system. In short, it was a good fit for her. It also got her out of a slump she felt as she was recovering from a divorce and as you discovered, could not secure a job. This move gave her a complete change of environment and I think it contributed greatly in helping her to move on after the divorce. She is happier now than she has been in the last few years.

So, I am thinking that a change of environment would be good for you. If you want information about teaching English abroad you can pm me.

I hear ya, I'm in a similar situation myself and it is so fustrating. I really want and NEED a job but no employer will give me the chance. Life is just not as enjoyable when you're not earning enough money to support yourself and you have debts.

My dream is to work overseas, I don't care how much it pays...just a fine amount to live on but it's the debts that are holding me back...oh and that I don't even have enough money for the plane ticket!

I feel powerless and most days I just want to give up and stay stuck in my crappy life. I have made a deal with myself though that the only way to change my situation is to get out there and keep applying for jobs - don't give up!

So I think a confidence boost could be just what you need. Find yourself a mantra and repeat it every day.

Also, I can relate when you say you want the big house, the relationship, dream car etc but it's really a step by step process, it doesnt happen all at once. If I were you I would focus on the job right now and worry about the other things later. If you find happiness there then I think the other things will follow.

What field of study? Was your GPA above a 3.0? Decent GRE scores? Prestigious program? I can understand a state or city school wait listing or rejecting you because of the lack of space, but outside of the hard sciences, engineering and top-tier programs, most applicants will find a private graduate school more than willing to take your cash.

advisor/school counselor, my gpa is slightly below 3.0. The GRE is not required for the program.

• 1 year later...

People have brought up the teaching overseas thing - I have a degree and I'm considering doing it myself to get out of a rut. I think that might be a good idea for you, OP, especially since you're feeling bad about living at home. I know that there's tough competition for countries like the UK but places like Korea will literally take anyone as an English teacher, I hear, as long as they have a degree and the TESOL course (depending on which course you take it can be completely very quickly and it's not that expensive). I googled it recently and found lots of info.

Archived