Nothing to do at new job

Moontiger

I'm finding myself in a very strang situation. I recently got a part time temp job (thanks to my sister-in-law) I work two days a week at this job and three days a week I am a nanny. The job is in the feild that I have been trying very hard to get into.

The problem is I have no idea what I am doing and my boss is to busy to really help me. The job is not that difficult but like any other job there are certain procedures etc that you have to learn. I continually ask my boss what she would like me to do, what I should be working on etc. Each time I ask she will give me somthing that is very quick to do or she will say "i'll have something for you in a few minuets" usually an hour or more goes by before she will give me anything.

She seems like a very nice person but with to much on her plate. I know how annyoing it can be to train someone (I had to train people at my old job) but I really want to be helpful. I feel very stange spending hours a day really not doing much at all.

Because my sister-in-law helped get me this job I really what to make her look good for recommending me. But I can't do that if I am never able to show my ability. My boss is out of the office with week and when I came in today she had left one simple project for me which I finished with in a half hour. So to pass the time I decied to start writing a taining manual for this position. I'm going through the few things I have learned so far and will keep adding to it as time goes on.

I don't even know what advice i'm looking for. I guess I just needed to vent a little.

Did she (your boss) have a written job description for you before you started? If so, use that as leverage to tactfully discuss with her that while you appreciate this opportunity, you would like some more direction when it comes to the tasks she wants you to do. Always, always preface such a conversation with what you like about what you are doing and how you see that it helps you grow as a professional (even if you have to embellish, a little--just get through it), but that in order to be as productive as possible, you need to have your expectations more defined. Also use those procedures you need to learn as leverage to begin this conversation.

Just remember to put as positive a spin on it as you can and she should not react negatively. Any boss worth their mettle will appreciate an employee standing up in such a way. Maybe there is someone else in the office she can have help mentor you or speak with you if she is too busy? And if you feel you need something like this, simply ask for it.

Good luck.

Archived