I make friendships with people only for them to fade away from me eventually..

Debra_Wilson

I'm trying to figure out why I can't hold onto friendships most of the time. In all I think I may have about 3 good friends who have stuck by my side all of these years. I am very social and friendly which is why I have no general issue making friends. It's just keeping these friends that seems to be the hard part. I can't tell you how many times I've met people, everything starts out great.. we're calling one another and we're hanging out, then suddenly the phone calls stop, we're hanging out less until it just gets to the point where we just lose touch.

Recently a current friend of mines introduced me to another group of her friends where we started hanging out together in social groups for events etc etc. Not one of her friends really seemed interested in getting my phone number to chit chat or get to know me. It always seemed like it was my friend that just brought me to these events and we'd all chat from there. Everybody seemed cool with me and didn't have a problem with me, however it never got to the point where I developed a deeper connection with them. Then I've noticed that my friend stopped inviting me out to the gatherings, I wouldn't find out about it until she would post a pic of them all together at some place on facebook. I always ask why was I never invited anymore and she always gave me the excuse that I'm busy, but I'm not that busy to the point where I can't hang with them. So she invited me out one last time a couple of weeks ago and I noticed her friends were ignoring me for whatever reason. It seemed like no one was generally interested in anything I had to say and every time I opened my mouth, it would be overshadowed by someone else or no one seemed to care to listen I had to say.It got to the point where I found myself sitting by myself feeling isolated while everyone hung and danced with everyone else at this minibar. I just felt like they generally didn't like me for whatever reason which is odd because they seemed so cool at first.

Recently I made another friend with a co-worker at my new job who's the complete opposite of me. I am social but she's very loud,confident and a partier. We were hanging out together but eventually she stopped inviting me out to parties with her as well. I'm very uncomfortable in events like clubs,etc etc so it's hard for me to relax and it shows. Eventually she told me that we're incompatible as friends and that I seem more like the loner type. She didn't say it in a mean way and we're still cool.. ON THE JOB.. but it still hurted me that she felt that way

I really feel like maybe I'm to boring for people and that's why most of my friendships fade away.. I really don't know how to keep their interests or be more exciting... I dunno..

I feel the same. Acquaintances never really become friends, they seem to like me at first then eventually disappear. That said, friendships come and go. At the party did you ask these people for their phone numbers or hope they would ask for yours? That makes a big difference in showing how interested you were in talking to them. Maybe these people you met were looking for more outgoing people as their friends? You can always make friend with other people who can appreciate someone quiet.

Archived