So I had three interviews with a particular small company. At each interview I was told I was the most qualified candidate. And I walked out of the first two interviews with confidence that I'd get the job. The third interview went okay--but it was with a group of people who knew little about the field or the position so they asked really stupid questions and I had a feeling I didn't give them the answer they wanted. The last interview was last thursday. When I spoke with the president and vp they said they would have a decision made by today. Now again the company is small, this is the first time hiring for this type of position, the president is 68, old, and seems a little off. He called me on Sunday(sunday of all days) to re-ask me questions that should've been covered in the first interview and to get references from me.

I spoke with a friend and she said he called her monday(she is a reference) and she spoke with him. Which means between Monday and today he's probably called my other two references.

So that means that he should have had a final decision made by now correct? Especially if the deadline is today?

I still have not heard from him, and in addition, I gave him a large binder of my work on Thursday and he said he would return it to me. So if I do not get this job, then what happens to that binder? Also they said they'd call me either way and let me know(if they decline me) why they did, or if I got the job.

I called about an hour ago and left a message. But is it safe to say I did not get this position at this point? If so, I want my binder back to give to other prospective employers--how do I go about doing that?

Also being that he even told me on Sunday(I would offer you this job right now, but I do need to call the references first)--I can't see what made him change his mind unless he heard negative remarks from one of the references.

Though two of the references are people that I worked with at one point, and they actually reached out to me to work with them again a month ago before the economy hit them and they didn't have the funds. So I don't know what negative things they could say--besides the fact that I was late to work every now and then.

My friend was a reference and i know she said positive things about me.

I guess I'm just confused as to what may have went wrong between Sunday and today.

Did you write him a thank you letter for the interview? Do that RIGHT NOW.

In it, thank him for the opportunity to interview for the position, and go over what you discussed and learned in the interviews, and how you know know how YOU are the best fit for the position.

Do it item by item, if you can, for example:

When we met last Wednesday you said that you're looking for someone who has customer service experience. I would like to point out that, not only have I worked at ABC and XYC in their customer service departments, but I also have received a lot of commendations from clients for my superior work. For example, Mr. 123 told my supervisor at ABC that I was the most sincere person he'd ever met at the company.

Stuff like that.

I once got an important job ONLY because of the after-interview thank you letter I wrote. The man later told me that he had literally thrown my resume away and when he got my follow up letter, he didn't even remember me! But the letter was so engaging and persuasive as to my fit, that he want back and found my resume. And hired me.

Write it, print it, and go mail it tonight. If you think they'll be hiring today or tomorrow, email it. But hard copy is still more impressive.

I wrote a thank you letter after the first interview with the president, and the second interview with the vice president. Thus they got two thank you letters from me. I literally followed procedures to a tee with these interviews. I brought questions each time, outlined everything I did, brought a portfolio of all my work. I had THOUGHT that i put down good references, and answered all his questions.

So I'm pretty baffled. The only detour I can see is the references. Because up until then I had a good idea I would get the position.

I guess if I don't hear from them by Friday, then I'll assume that I don't get it.

My concern is no longer about the position per-say but about getting my binder back full of all my work. That is a binder that I've used for interviews in the past and I'd like to have it back. But if they reject me, I'm wondering how I will get it back...

He had told me(the VP) that once he reviewed he'd give it back to me. But if I don't get the job, I don't see how...

I've seen companies take 3 months to make a decision. Don't sweat it. Two or three weeks is more typical. People have to get with people, and they have to talk to people...and then they have to get an offer letter written up...and they have to check with HR on pay and legalities...

If you don't hear from them by Monday afternoon, call the VP's secretary and tell her you'd like to get your portfolio back. That way you'll have an excuse to go in and maybe talk to him.

I've seen companies take 3 months to make a decision. Don't sweat it. Two or three weeks is more typical. People have to get with people, and they have to talk to people...and then they have to get an offer letter written up...and they have to check with HR on pay and legalities...

If you don't hear from them by Monday afternoon, call the VP's secretary and tell her you'd like to get your portfolio back. That way you'll have an excuse to go in and maybe talk to him.

Ok thank you.

I will try that. I guess I thought because they were a smaller company that the decision would be made sooner. Not to mention they said they wanted someone to start within the next week or two.

It just seemed as if it was urgent.

If I don't hear from them by Monday, I will call again to get the portfolio.

They are working according to their own calendar, not yours. Your anxiety is understandable, however a small company doesn't mean that they have less business to attend to in addition to their hiring concerns--it can mean they've got more weight to carry. If a business critical event happens that disrupts their intended timeline for this, then guess which effort gets their focus? I've seen delays hold things up for weeks or more.

I'm sure this company can appreciate your concern for your portfolio, but I wouldn't treat them as if they'll lose the thing. Now is not the time to alienate a prospective employer. Patience and fingers crossed.

Archived