Not sure what to do with my life!

I need some advice!

Basically, I took a graphic design course and did a practicum and now I'm rethinking that since I didn't really enjoy the practicum part. I'm trying to decide what else I'd like to do with my life and I've done a lot of research.

Does anyone have any experience with

architecture? (I started drawing floor plans in like grade 6, has always been an interest) - I hated physics in high school, though.. so maybe not?

interior design? (I drew the furniture into the floor plans and I always have an eye for that kind of thing)

designing/art? perhaps illustration.. I'm quite good at drawing, artistic things

I'd also really like to help people. I think that would be really fulfilling. I would love to have a career in medicine, but in high school, my science classes were a joke so I feel like I really missed out on that stuff (plus I didn't really enjoy it). I'm also interested in child care or charity organizations, but I'm not much of a leader type of person. I would love to have a job where I could go to work everyday and make people happier.. people who are troubled. But I take everything home with me. I am very empathetic.. any ideas what careers could involve that?

Basically, I have very good marks - was valedictorian in highschool. So I can pretty much do anything. But what?

I have two friends that are architects and they love their job. One guy has his own business and the other guy works for a solid company. Architecture design is a good mix of technical with creative side so I think you shoudl go for it

From what you described, you might want to look into graphic or interior design. Both involve a great deal of art, structure and layout, and don't require too much science. If you want to tie in helping people, maybe you could look into something like Habitat for Humanity. I don't know if they have that in Canada, but it involves building homes for the poor. In my opinion, studying design will be greatly affected by the school you attend. For example, some architecture programs focus mainly on the engineering side, while others may emphasize the visual and emotional aspect...

You sound a lot like where I was 5 years ago. There are so many different fields I love, so I had no idea what I wanted to go into. It really came down to what I would be the best at doing, and not hate doing everyday. The key is to find ways to include the other interests that you have that aren't part of your career. Like if you went into graphic design, you could still volunteer on the weekends and help people out...good luck...hope this helps...

As a child my best friend's father was an architect.

Let's see, they had a very fancy two-story house with pool, a motorhome, a Datsun 240Z and a catamaran. Mr. Hatch did very well by architecture.

Maveric makes a good point that your art skills will apply.

Sounds like a winner and you can always have graphics to fall back on.

Thx

As a child my best friend's father was an architect.

Let's see, they had a very fancy two-story house with pool, a motorhome, a Datsun 240Z and a catamaran. Mr. Hatch did very well by architecture.

Maveric makes a good point that your art skills will apply.

Sounds like a winner and you can always have graphics to fall back on.

Thx

I would love to do that, I think.

The only thing holding me back is physics. Do you think it would be beneficial to take a physics upgrading course beforehand?

The only thing holding me back is physics. Do you think it would be beneficial to take a physics upgrading course beforehand?

Physics in general study don't exactly apply to architecture. The most technical course you will need to study in order to become an architect is applied mathematics. But don't worry, this isn't calculus or anything too theoretical, it's basically the study of forces, loads, moments, and how to design structures and structural members (components) for tension/compression and as a system. It's very interesting stuff and not too difficult if you have common sense, good work ethic and some minor technical knowledge.

Physics in general study don't exactly apply to architecture. The most technical course you will need to study in order to become an architect is applied mathematics. But don't worry, this isn't calculus or anything too theoretical, it's basically the study of forces, loads, moments, and how to design structures and structural members (components) for tension/compression and as a system. It's very interesting stuff and not too difficult if you have common sense, good work ethic and some minor technical knowledge.

Hmm, that's good to know. I actually took calculus in grade 12, so that makes me feel better. I did pretty well with it. I'll have to look in to it. I'm wondering if they offer architecture programs in my province.

I studied architecture for a couple years before I switched to engineering. My program only required Physics 1 and 2, which aren't too bad. I did enjoy my time studying Arch., but I have to say that it is very, very demanding, and will take up most of your time. Again, different programs will emphasize various aspects of the field, so be sure to research schools as best as you can...

Hmm, that's good to know. I actually took calculus in grade 12, so that makes me feel better. I did pretty well with it. I'll have to look in to it. I'm wondering if they offer architecture programs in my province.

As far as I know, architecture is offered in all canadian provinces. When selecting your program pay close attention that it's recognized by an architect's association (AA) applicable to your province of practice. You will want to get your profesional designation after some experience and you will be able to do so if your program is affiliated with AA

I don't know how much physics there is to architecture.

Perhaps you can concentrate on the particular physics that applies.

I'll bet there is a bit of metalurgy involved too.

I wanted to be an architect when I was young and do graphics design now.

Thx

I don't know how much physics there is to architecture.

Perhaps you can concentrate on the particular physics that applies.

I'll bet there is a bit of metalurgy involved too.

I wanted to be an architect when I was young and do graphics design now.

Thx

Really? Graphic design.. do you mind me asking what your job is like?

Really? Graphic design.. do you mind me asking what your job is like?

Uh, I like it.

I work at home online doing graphics support for an online travel agency.

The jobs I get are like this...

"Say, do you think you can put a coconut husk frame around this picture? I like the bamboo, but I think coconut husks will look more tropical somehow..."

"I've got a new campaign coming up. I need something that says "classy" without being too obvious."

These travel agents are what we call affiliates, they run their own office usually from home as well. I support almost 100 of them.

The money is not huge, but I do like working from home, I don't know how I commuted all those years without going bonkers.

These offices are all accross the country and it is fun trying to fit everyone's graphic needs.

I had no training for this job other than my love of art and the classes (not graphics design) I took in school.

Thx

That's cool.

My practicum was at a small print shop. Basically, I was in the back doing bindery - laminating, binding, heat wrapping, padding, etc. I was so terrible at it. And the designing I got to do was not fun and was so rushed. I had to have something done in 10 minutes. It took all the fun out of it.. and according to my advisor there, it's like this everywhere. So that's why I have panicked to figure out what I want to do with my life. It seems that no one wants to hire someone with no experience, so how do I gain experience if I can't get hired!?

You are very lucky! No training- must be talented!

That's cool.

My practicum was at a small print shop. Basically, I was in the back doing bindery - laminating, binding, heat wrapping, padding, etc. I was so terrible at it. And the designing I got to do was not fun and was so rushed. I had to have something done in 10 minutes. It took all the fun out of it.. and according to my advisor there, it's like this everywhere. So that's why I have panicked to figure out what I want to do with my life. It seems that no one wants to hire someone with no experience, so how do I gain experience if I can't get hired!?

You are very lucky! No training- must be talented!

Yes, there are so many aspects to graphics design it is amazing.

You might find yourself working at a big company like Procter and Gamble designing the graphics for a new shampoo or something, almost every business needs a graphics department.

I guess I got this job as kind of a fluke you know.

A good friend of mine had been there a couple years and could not keep up with the work. (We were getting a lot of new affiliates and they need mass graphics to get started)

I had looked over Steve's shoulder for awhile and took the job. Just his recomendation was enough and he actually let me take a couple of his jobs before I was hired to prove I could do it.

Since the economic collapse we are not so busy, but I think I will have a job there as long as I want.

I can't tell you how cool it is keeping my own hours and not having to commute.

I save a fortune by working at home, and I know my work is much better without the normal job pressure.

Thx

You know something D, come to think of it, Mr. Hatch the architect worked at home too.

All those years ago, late 60s.

He had a large drafting table set up in their bedroom and all us kids knew not to go messing about with it. Not to come within three feet physically and no playing Frisbee within range, lol.

This guy was not designing skyscrapers either, one of his first jobs was laying out the interiors for the Yum Yum restaurants, a small chain with about six outlets.

I bet nowadays your graphics design is a must have for an architect or any designer, so by no means is your graphics design going to go to waste.

Hey, maybe graphics will put bread on the table and in the mean time study architecture, by the time you are 30 you will probably be about as well off as prosperous Mr. Hatch.

(And I promise you us kids will stay away from your drafting table.)

Thx

I know you will need Autocad in your box of tools.

Uh, I think this is the student version.

link removed

There is visual tablet for Autocad download here...

link removed

Discussion groups...

link removed

Broderbund makes a lot of design software too.

link removed

Maybe it's too amaturish though.

Thx

Archived