Counseling: Not Crazy

This is for everyone struggling with a break-up. Whether you're 3 weeks, 3 months or 3 years out. Whether you were abused, your ex was abusive, it simply didn't work out or you ended it.

I've had 2 counseling sessions so far. I am almost 4 months out of my first relationship (a 2 way abusive one). I joined a Women's Abuse Services counseling group to help me heal the wounds of everything I experienced.

The first thing I said in my first session was "I feel pathetic for being here. There are people who get beaten by their spouses every day, or have been far more abused than I have." I told the counselor my past relationship from beginning to end. At the end of the session, she said "In regards to what you said earlier, what you went through is bad. Never downplay it, because you were severely abused".

I realized she's right. This whole time I acknowledged it but normalized it. As if it was something that happened every day.

Well it's not. And I feel like with this counseling, I can really piece myself together again and get through this pain.

So if you can find free or inexpensive counseling.. do it. I'm not saying every person needs it, but it can really help to hear outside perspective.

Thanks

Archived