This really, really sucks.

Russ

My family's had a cat for 18 years now.

Being 19 myself, I've grown up with the damn thing. And now it's got a tumor, a weak heart, etc, etc.

It's not in pain, so they're not putting it down - and letting it live out its last few months of its life, but this is the closest I've come to crying in years.

I open my room door, and my cats lying there all awkward, looking at me. Guess my folks forgot to keep their door open - so she got lonely.

She can barely walk as it is - because the tumors on one of her legs, and when she's limping along, I can't handle it.

Just needed to post that up, I guess.

I had to have my dog put down after having him for the first 14 years of my life. It was hard, my dad cried, never seen him do that before, I held it in, but really wanted to, I miss that dog..... the way he chased me, my brother and sister around the house, the way he shyte all over the floor and my mom would freak on him, the way we fed him under the table at dinner when my mother cooked us food we didn't like, the way he humped the other dogs at the park without a care.......I loved that dog.....ahem..sorry about that, just needed to post that as well, your thread inspired that little reminiscence. Thanks...and sorry to hear about your cat, it's amazing how we grow so close to our animals.

Yes, you really don't realize how attached you are to your pets until it comes to the end of their lives. I got two cats (brother and sister) back in my early 20's, we have been through everything together, and when I was in my early-30's my male was diagnosed with feline diabetes. He spent a week at the vet, I took him back home for 2 weeks and gave him twice daily insulin shots, he had another spike the following week and with the consult with my vet, we decided to put him down. His quality of life was horrible at that point, getting sick constantly, in pain, on IV's at the vet to stabalize him... it was the hardest thing I have ever gone through. I still get teary thinking about it, and it's been 6 years. I still have his sister, she's creeping up on 20 years old and still going strong! I dread the day she passes, it will truly break my heart in a million pieces. I cried non-stop for weeks after I lost my male cat.

I will close with the only thing that made me feel better after I lost my Wally, it was my Mom that said, "Shortpants, you have given your cat more love and a better life than most animals out there. Wally loved you dearly, and you loved him. Hold to heart the good times and know above all else you gave him a wonderful and happy life." I ended up getting him cremated, and he still is with me in a container on my shelf.

I'm so sorry you are going through this and hope your final days with your cat are happy ones. Keep her comfortable and happy now, it's all you can do at the moment.

One never knows true love until they have experiences the unconditional love of a pet.

Archived