References with previous employer

I quit my job late last year to make a career change and return to the medical profession. I'm going back to school to study to be a Medical Assistant. In the meantime I have passed my State exam for CNA and I have one class left of phlebotomy before I take my National CPT exam. I have sent out over 22 resumes with only 3 leads.

I've heard that my ex boss was very bitter when I left. I was a good employee, worked passed 5, completed all my assignments and was very task driven and very helpful to my co-workers. However, he is the type of person who would constantly stab you in the back. I'm worried that he could make a negative impact on my future applications for job.

I do have a co-worker from another department who acted as my mentor in teaching me the software. She has told me to use her as a reference. However, when I'm filling out an application I am asked "name of supervisor". No win situation. Any ideas?

You will have to list a supervisor, but they will likely NOT call him and will call those who you list as a reference. If they do call anyone, they will ask you first if they can do so. If you don't feel comfortable with them calling your former boss, just say "I'd prefer that you call my listed references before you speak with my former supervisor."

It asks for my past supervisors name and asks "may we contact them". I really don't want them to contact him because of what I heard.

I did call one of places I applied for. They told me they were waiting on my course tutor to contact them regarding my reference.

So when you list references do they call your supervisor too or just those references you have listed at the bottom of the page. I'm really wanted to get a job before i start school again in September. Plus the place that I applied at will allow flexibility if i decide to return to school. It's driving me crazy being stuck in this house but I am studying a lot and feel good about passing my exam. Kel

It asks for my past supervisors name and asks "may we contact them". I really don't want them to contact him because of what I heard.

I did call one of places I applied for. They told me they were waiting on my course tutor to contact them regarding my reference.

So when you list references do they call your supervisor too or just those references you have listed at the bottom of the page. I'm really wanted to get a job before i start school again in September. Plus the place that I applied at will allow flexibility if i decide to return to school. It's driving me crazy being stuck in this house but I am studying a lot and feel good about passing my exam. Kel

It depends, but typically, they would call your references since those are the people that you specifically listed as wanting to be contacted.

If you don't want them to contact your supervisor, just say they may not contact him. It will likely not be a big deal. If they do ask your interview why you preferred that he not be contacted, just tell them there were personality differences between the two of you.

Archived