does seeing a psychologist...

im_the_undead

it helped me... slowly but surely. they've helped me look at different coping mechanisms and understand why i chosed them. it's up to me to figure out the rest, you can't expect a miracle worker. as someone said, these people will provide you different tools.. it's still up to you to do the work and figure out what's best for you.

I think a psychologist is mostly useful for being able to talk to somebody without being judged or labled "aggressive" or "emo" or whatever. I go to one and I can't say that she has come up with a lot of solutions but It does make me feel better to get a lot of things off my chest.

it's not for me, although i really wouldn't mind going! it's for an older person who says "i'm too old for that my life is almost over anyway.."

i think it's worth while [and the person is really NOT old, only 50], but the person doesn't.

how can i convince the person that they should give it a try?

tell the person that he/she can tell a psychologist anything that troubles without being judged or being looked at in a funny way. everything that person tells the psychologist will never be told to anybody else without his or her permission. if the problem is something serious like depression the psychologist can refer her or him to psychiatrist who can prescribe medication to help treat the symptoms. a psychologist can give him/her tips on how to deal with problems. tell him/her that his/her age is no problem. people of all ages see psychologist.

good luck

Archived