Alcoholism

1) What determines alcoholism?

- Is it the NEED to drink.. whether it is daily, weekly, monthly? Once or twice, or all the time?

- What if you drank once a week/month, but could stop drinking altogether?

- What if you drank once a week/month, but HAD to have that drink every week?

2) What if your intentions were to just have a few drinks.. but you couldn't stop yourself?

3) What if you were an alcoholic for X amount of years, became sober for X amount of years.... If you started to pick up drinking again, does that make you an automatic alcoholic because you were once an alcoholic?

- Does that scenario (above), depend on if it's a drink here or there like #1 asks?

Just had a few questions about alcoholism. I didn't grow up around drunks. Thankyou for answering my questions and their sub-questions.

I know someone who suffers from alcoholism. When he first started drinking he was going through an extremely tough time in his life and claimed that drinking helped him to forget life. He drank and drank to try and drown out all the bad things in his life. Now that life is better, the addiction is still there, however it seems to be more of a physical addiction than a mental addiction. I have witnessed myself what happens when he does not drink. His body shakes uncontrollably and he has much much anger for no reason. Once he gets the alcohol in his system he calms down considerably. It is not uncommon for him to go through 30 cans in one night, however he has managed to slow down during the week while working, but does not stop completely.

This is a pretty good indicator:

The CAGE test is an assessment tool to aid clinicians and others in identifying alcoholism signs. It is one of hundreds of tools used to screen individuals and determine treatment options. Many of these tools are available in the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA) guide, Assessing Alcohol Problems: A Guide for Clinicians and Researchers, which can be accessed online.

The CAGE test is comprised of four brief questions designed to detect alcohol abuse or dependence. Answering yes to any CAGE question suggests a possible alcohol problem. Answering yes to two or more questions indicates a high risk of alcohol abuse or dependence. Note that CAGE questions are only guidelines – not diagnostic criteria.

CAGE Test Questions:

1.Have you ever felt the need to Cut down on alcohol consumption?

2.Are you Annoyed when people question your drinking habits?

3.Do you feel Guilty about your alcohol use?

4.Have you ever used alcohol as an Eye opener to recover from a hangover?

Well, while I understand those guidelines..... Some people think being an alcoholic is up for discussion and opinion. Someone close to me thinks that you can be an alcoholic if you simply feel that NEED to drink, whether it's daily, weekly, or even monthly. If you got the urge, you're an alchy. However, they do not think that an ex-alchy is an alchy all over again if they drink "just a little" each night. That it's only a big deal if they drink a LOT.

So that's kinda where all my questions come from. Just trying to see what people are really thinking out there xD

Well I believe it's the need to drink. Not a desire to, but a need to. I also believe you're forever an alcoholic. I know that I constantly have to limit myself when it comes to drinking. There's always the possibility of it growing worse, but my need to drink has subsided. Sometimes I feel it, other times I just want to go out and have a good time without feeling like I need to drink. But it's always there...just my opinion.

Well, while I understand those guidelines..... Some people think being an alcoholic is up for discussion and opinion. Someone close to me thinks that you can be an alcoholic if you simply feel that NEED to drink, whether it's daily, weekly, or even monthly. If you got the urge, you're an alchy. However, they do not think that an ex-alchy is an alchy all over again if they drink "just a little" each night. That it's only a big deal if they drink a LOT.

So that's kinda where all my questions come from. Just trying to see what people are really thinking out there xD

I think there's a difference between a "need" and a "want". I like to make martinis at home & sometimes feel like making one, but I don't have to have it. Most times I end up not making one anyway. I could actually go a year or more without drinking and, while I might miss getting a buzz while hanging out with my goofy friends, it isn't like, necessary. I think differentiating between wanting & a needing is an important thing to note and the difference between the two may start to get blurry as someone is developing an alcohol problem.

It is kinda funny if you think about it. "You should only drink if you don't REALLY want one". But that's the way it goes.

1) What determines alcoholism?

Alcohol dependence (addiction) is I assume what you are meaning?

I would regard this as an addiction if:

Alcohol is a high priority in your life, you drink everyday and often need to drink in order to avoid unpleasant withdrawal symptoms. Even if you want to stop drinking it is difficult because you experience unpleasant withdrawal symptoms as a result. Withdrawal symptoms include: feeling sick, trembling, sweating, craving for alcohol, and just feeling awful. Convulsions occur in a small number of cases. As a result, you drink alcohol regularly and 'depend' on it to prevent withdrawal symptoms.

This is what I regard alcoholism / alcohol dependence (addiction) to be. If you were an alcoholic and then stopped drinking for years and then started again, I would say you would only become alcohol dependant if you starting to experience the above. If you say could drink within government recommended limits, then I would say you are no longer alcoholic (I realise this may be extremely difficult for someone who has previously had alcohol problems).

Saying this I believe that just because you don't meet the definition above that doesn't mean your drinking is safe. You can misuse alcohol (by drinking too much) and this can also have very bad effects on the body, but I don't think this is always the same as being alcohol dependant / addicted.

I have read that people who are addicted to alcohol have a very physical addiction to the sugars in alcohol. In fact it is not uncommon for recovering alcoholics to eat

lots of candy or other sweets while kicking the habit. I read about a guy who stopped drinking and dropped tons of weight even while eating ice cream every day

in place of booze. So...I think that has a LOT to do with it.

Archived