Do men play jealous games?

limbo101

My best friend is a guy, I'm a woman, we are in our 30's. Always talking about what we want out of love, relationships, etc, and of course it appears we want all the same things, hang out all the time, talk daily, care about each other genuinely. Long ago the dating subject came up. He didn't seem hip on it, so I was fine with that.

But since then, only grow closer all the time, he flirts more, appears to be more attracted to me in general than he has before (see my other posts). I'm sure he still knows I have a crush, I just do well hiding it and with covering it up, for the most part; I"m good at throwing him off that way...we kiss (no tongue) goodbye all the time, giving me ample opps to take him right there; but I don't because of our situation...he apparently likes to kiss me that way; he initiates it most of the time.

Anyway, I've mentioned lately being back on link removed. Mentioned a couple guys that nothing ever panned out with. He works outta town on weekends; this past weekend, he actually said he missed me. We always text while he's gone, but I can't say he's ever said he misses me before. We said we miss each other; that pretty much never happens, even though we are so close.

Then today he suddenly texted me that he has good prospects on link removed. It's good because he's moving on from his Ex from many months ago, thanks to me reminding him what a flake she was. I have said things before, subtly, about being in the "backseat" if he finds someone, or vice versa. But we haven't made a serious conversation out of that lately (even though I've wanted to).

Not that I think he's lying about link removed, but it's funny timing to me. Does he even care if it bothers me or not? Is he trying to see if it bothers me? I dont know if we confuse the hell out of each other, or what. We are best friends and I can not see us as not being able to make each other 1st priority, as we do now. He claims that I deserve a good guy and I'm a good catch, etc, as I also say about him. It just seems silly that something is holding him back.

Is he seeing if I get jealous; or should I take it as a hint that he still doesn't want me that way, despite of all his other behavior?

Once, I spoke of a girl I know from college, and he said, "is she hot?", then I said No (because I know his type) then he still asks "is she single?" after I tell him she's not hot. What's that all about?

I think you guys are both confused at the best friend / possible relationship situation? I'd feel a bit awkward just reading the situation alone.

It's almost as though if you were to ever date a new guy he would get jealous and in that sense yes he may be playing a bit of head games with you.

Assuming, but you two also don't want to lose the close friendship if the relationship doesn't work out?

Archived