engineering

WhyTry

I work as an industrial engineer. Right now I study posts, make improvements to reduce work and improve efficiency, and then I make recommendations for staffing levels (i.e. suppress some jobs). I find my job satisfying but I am not well liked among production management.

Oh, and don't worry about the operators...when a job is eliminated, the operators are not fired or demoted.

The term "engineering" is really vague these days. I know a lot of programmers who are called "software engineers," but that has nothing to do with, say, structural engineering or chemical engineering.

I got a mechanical engineering degree years ago. I have ended up doing that for a living at times, and doing other things at times, so just because you get a degree in something, it doesn't necessarily mean you're limited to doing that for a living. While I was in engineering school, I pretty much hated it and wondered why I had picked such a difficult, boring degree. Twenty years later, I think it's the best decision I ever made.

Archived