Mosquito bites - horrible

I usually get a big white mark on me when a mosquito bites. Then it gradually turns small and pointy and pink and goes away. Some weekends ago I got bit at the beach and some days later it was still itchy and a nasty purplish color. Then they went away.

Last weekend I got several bites and now 2 of them are big and dark dark red resembling birth marks. Anybody get this? What could it be? Go to a doc for this or wait it out a while?

I am invited to a wedding today and I don't like the idea that I will have 2 large marks on my leg Should I cover them up? Will that look even more pathetic?

I'm not very sure but the white/dark purple part sounds like you could be allergic.

What I do is rub a bit of alcohol as soon as I notice them, that way they heal in a couple of days instead of a couple of weeks, also hand sanitizer (the "instant" alcohol based one, not soap) works well and it's gentle so it shouldn't cause problems.

But, it's better if you see a dermatologist.

I usually get a big white mark on me when a mosquito bites. Then it gradually turns small and pointy and pink and goes away. Some weekends ago I got bit at the beach and some days later it was still itchy and a nasty purplish color. Then they went away.

Last weekend I got several bites and now 2 of them are big and dark dark red resembling birth marks. Anybody get this? What could it be? Go to a doc for this or wait it out a while?

I am invited to a wedding today and I don't like the idea that I will have 2 large marks on my leg Should I cover them up? Will that look even more pathetic?

Actually for the first time I just got terrible mosquito bites like that. I had put bug repellent on but forgot to put it on my feet so they ate me alive at the ankles and toes, through my sandals, one night while I was out on my deck. I think the bites are worse if the mosquito stays on you for a long time, undetected. I had no idea I was bit until later.

The bites have been driving me CRAZY, to say the least. Every night I have to take benadryl and put cortisone on them so I won't scratch them raw in my sleep. It's been 2 weeks and they are finally getting better but there are still spurts where I feel like I want to scratch them with steel wool.

Were you sure it was mosquitos that got you at the beach, or was it horseflies?

Putting cover-up on them will probably make them itch more.

I'm not very sure but the white/dark purple part sounds like you could be allergic.

all mosquito bite bumps are allergic reactions.

But if they are purple that means there is some kind of addition inflammation or bleeding, could be a tick bite or something else.

which could be serious.

At this point they no longer itch. They just kind of look like birth marks. My boyfriend just told me his mom heard that there were a lot of people going to the ER this summer for similar reactions to bites (just because they were concerned not because it was serious/painful etc).

Archived