No visible results in the gym

Iv been goin in the gym now 3 lunchtimes a week for the past few months.

I begin with running a few laps, then lift weights for 1/2 hour and finally warm down by doing a few more laps.

I know that i have got stronger from lifting the weights but i cannot see much visible results.

Does anyone here have any tips for increasing muscle size?

Cheers in advance!

Yes, I added your msn to mine.. I know everything you need to know but it will take alot more explaination then I can write in the forum. Also, I would need to know some things about your body and stuff. Like height, weight so I can help you develope a good program..

Hey, abcd1234, this isn't a question about the topic it's about the way you reported your height and weight. Your from the UK and I'm from the USA and I've always been told that inches and feet aren't used much outside of the US. So, although you stated your weight in measurements that make no sense to me, (kg, stones... whatever) isn't your height also supposed to be in like, centimeters or something? Sorry about the weird question, I'm just curious...

Usually people over here use centimetres and metres when stating height, im not exactly sure why i said it in inches and feet, its probably because thats the way i am used to hearing people say how tall they are.

I use Kilograms (kg) to state my weight because whenever i am in the gym all of the weights are laballed in Kg. I suppose over there you are used to using pounds.

Inches and Feet are what adults use (it is what they were taught to use at school) but in modern education over here we are taught in metres and centimetres.

I will try to help (even though i have a small inkling i am too late!) because i excercise a lot, and in particular do a lot of running and weights (since Year 9 ) I am almost amazed that you have not noticed some change in your figure.

Perhaps you are not doing it properly or consistently enough. Or perhaps you are doing less then you are capable of. Have you tried to increase the load over the months> bigger weights, longer/more laps?

Enough excuses, you mentioned you haven't noticed any visible differences. To tone your body you need to start using small, managable loads (the loads that you can easily push first time), and just keep pushing until you can push no more. As much as you can. To increase muscle size quite rapidly, you should use just under the maximum you can push. Do them in sets, and watch the muscle grow- the more weights the better.

As for running, i found that doing short bursts of sprinting/running -maximum 10 minutes- really loses weight and burns fat, but if you are aiming to tone your body, then you should start some mile jogging, which is much much longer. Aim to jog for an hour.

The only other advice i can say with assurance is to drink water, and only water! At least 2 litres a day. And i also found doing the Atkins diet for a few days and taking a break really does wonders because whether it is on a diet or excercise, you lose the most weight/make the most muscle in the first few hurdles.

But i am no expert, only some guy speaking from 5 months serious training experience. Good luck

The only change i have noticed is that over the few months i have been going in i have definitely gotten stronger. On some exercises i can lift nearly twice the weight i could originally.

My biceps have not gotten bigger but they are now much firmer to touch (i.e. they are solid, even when i am not flexing them ) Do you think that if i continue with the same training they will begin to grow?

I have always been an excellent sprinter, so i have been developing my running a bit, i can now push my body harder for longer. Thats not really the problem for me.

Thanks

1. Carry on doin what you are ( does it really matter if yoru muscels arnt big as long as you are getting stronger?

2. I aint a great at biology but it may be your build considering you did say your a great sprinter i have heard people either are the athletic or muscly tyipe or a bit in between them

Your age says it is 15. At 15 you are not fully grown yet so don't expect to baloon into some bodybuilder overnight.

At 15 year metabolism is probably high and your hormones are still kicking. Most 15 year olds don't look built no matter what.

If you are gaining strength that is a good thing. Keep at it.

What are your goals? are you trying to bulk up? are you trying to get definition? are you trying to gain weight or to loose weight?

If you are trying to get more muscle mass then use larger weights for less time (fewer sets). Start with the largest muscle groups first. Chest (bench press, dips), back (pulldowns), legs (leg press). Then move to specific muscle groups such as biceps. After a few months wehn you buld up, reduce the weight and increase the number of sets to create definition. Expect to work at it every day for a few months probably 6 to 8 months at least. Always alternate your sets, and excerices and do not fall into a rutine. Diet is 75% of your workouts. Drink lots of water, eat chicken and rice, or healthy stuff with a good amount of protein after your workouts. Lay off junk food, soda, cigarettes, and liquer. Make sure you work out both your upper and lower body especially your abs. Do ab work every day morning and night.

Reduce your running and increase your weighlifting. Spend about 45 to 60 minutes llifting weights to get more results, by concentrating on different muscle groups. Certain muscle groups such as your chest will take a long time before results are visible. It also depends on how much muscle mass you have (genetics/age), how fast you build muscle and how fast your metabolism is. Make sure you get pleanty of sleep too.

You should not worry so much right now. If you are 15 then you are going to spend alot of time at the gym from 18-30. There is no rush now, and you will have al the muscle and physique you want. jsut have fun now while you are still a kid.