Need Help Getting The Job I Want

YourNameHere
5 Fundamentals When Writing Your CV
5 Fundamentals When Writing Your CV

I want to send my resume and cover letter to a company I REALLY want to work for. What are some ways to get the attention of the company on my cover letter and sell myself without looking like a desperate weirdo? They don't have any open positions but they said they always welcome resumes with a cover letter. Any tips would be so appreciated!

Also, and this probably should be a new topic but eh what the heck, what are some questions I can ask the person interviewing me? I have one good question I usually ask but after that I always go blank. What are some things I can ask the person interviewing me? I usually ask 'what are the qualities of your most successful employees?' but then blow it after that because I can't think of anything else. Thanks in advance! (again!)

The only thing I can think of, in terms of the cover letter, is to absolutely tailor it toward the company. There are few things more lame than getting a cover letter that's obviously mass-produced.

As an attention-grabber, try to not start your cover letter with the same old "I am applying for..." spiel. With the job I have now, I started my cover letter with something like, "Growing up, when my friends spent their summer days swimming and playing kickball, I found any excuse to sneak off to the _______ Regional Library. I spent countless hours roaming the neatly arranged bookshelves, and it is my pleasure to apply for..."

Kinda hoaky, but it's what works for me.

In another cover letter, I made DARN certain that the hiring managers knew that I knew their company (a TV station), by mentioning several programs/events---"I've spent years plotting ways to meet [local TV celeb] and I can't begin to explain how much I enjoyed watching..."

I don't go overboard; just do a bit of personal connection, then quickly relate it to their company. It's a unique way of showing that you're an original thinker, you have an investment in their company AND how you can contribute to them. Basically, your goal is an attention-grabbing opening sentence (or two) that'll stand out to them.

With both examples, I just referenced, the hiring managers mentioned how much they stood out to them/how effective they were, which only confirmed the effectiveness for me.

As for interview questions to ask, just Google "questions to ask in an interview"--you'll get WAY more examples than you'll know what to do with.

Good luck.

Archived