my boyfriend just told me yesterday that he thinks he may have mono, he took a blood test and is getting the results back today. I think i may have caught it from him, because i read up that some of the symptoms are fever, sore throat, soreness in muscles, etc, which has been what i've been suffering from the past couple days. My question is: does anyone have any info on this "kissing disease"? that's another name used for it...as it spreads through contact of saliva. Does anyone know how my bf could have gotten it? Is it contageous in other ways besides kissing? what exactly is mono? any information will be useful. Thank you.

there are many other ways you can get mono, so if that is your main consern, then you need not wory. Anything that goes from one mouth to another can transmit it, and in all reality that dosn't even need to happen. The vires just need a way to get from one person to another.

If you think you have it you need to go to the doctor asap so you don't end up giveing it to anyone else.

Mononucleosis or "the kissing disease," is an infection that is usually caused by the Epstein-Barr virus (EBV). EBV is very common - most people become infected with it at some point during their lives, but not everyone develops mono when they get infected. EBV is classified as one of several herpes viruses, but it is not one of the viruses that cause cold sores or genital herpes. Like other herpes viruses, once you've been infected with EBV, it stays in your body for the rest of your life. It may reappear in your saliva from time to time, but you usually won't get the symptoms of mono again from this virus.

One common way to "catch" mono is by kissing someone who has been infected, which is how the illness got its nickname. Although a quick smooch between friends probably won't do any harm, intimate kissing with someone who's infected can put you at greater risk for getting the disease if you have never been infected with EBV.

But you may wonder, "How did I get this kissing disease when I haven't kissed anyone?" You can also get mononucleosis through other types of direct contact with saliva from someone infected with the virus, such as by sharing a straw or an eating utensil. Some people who have the virus in their bodies never have any symptoms, but you may still pick up the virus from them. In fact, experts believe that EBV often spreads from people who have it but don't have mono. Someone who does have mono is most contagious while he or she has a fever.

Symptoms usually begin to appear 4 to 7 weeks after you've been infected with the virus. Signs that you may have mono include:

- being tired all the time

- fever

- sore throat

- loss of appetite

- swollen lymph nodes (also commonly known as glands, located in your

neck, underarms, and groin)

- headaches

sore muscles

- larger-than-normal liver and spleen

- skin rash

- abdominal pain

People who have mono may have different combinations of these symptoms, and some people may have symptoms so mild that they hardly notice them. Other people may have no symptoms at all. Because these symptoms are so general and can be symptoms of other illnesses, a doctor may mistake mononucleosis for the flu or even strep throat. In fact, occasionally some teens may have mono and strep throat at the same time. To help make a diagnosis, the doctor may want to take some blood tests to determine if mono is causing your symptoms. But even if the blood tests indicate that you have mono, there isn't much the doctor can do other than advise you to drink lots of fluids and get lots of rest.

There is no cure for mononucleosis, but the good news is that even if you do nothing, the illness will go away by itself, usually in 3 to 4 weeks. Because mono is caused by a virus, antibiotics such as penicillin won't help unless you have a secondary infection such as strep throat. The best treatment is to get plenty of rest, especially during the beginning stages of the illness.

As your boyfriend recovers, make sure he doesn't share the virus with you, his friends or family. Chances are they will not get the disease from casual contact with him, but you can take a few steps to help them stay germfree.

Good Luck.

JSHRN