professional resume helper

makeupgrl99

So unfortunately to add one more problem to my already stressfull life, I got layed off yesterday.

I'm trying to stay positive and apply to as many places as I can. I was thinking of paying to have my resume professionaly written because I feel like mine may be a bit outdated and it doesn't stand out.

Has anyone ever had their resume professionaly written?

I read that this website link removed are very good. It is about 150$ to have your resume written by them. So before I pay that much money, is it worth it?

Thanks!

I would only bother if you have a lot of experience (are not just starting out) and perhaps need several different versions of your resumes. Sometimes it's hard to justify the different skills for the different resumes.

I personally don't like their sample resumés, and to me they make a lot of mistakes on them.

They are very graphical and messy to me. It's hard to locate information from their format. (Some are way better than others)

No one follows the same resumé style but I prefer short direct key words rather than big paragraphs.

I see where they are going with the achievements rather than simply listing tasks but I think their paragraphs are too much.

I swear this one is a short story: link removed

The point of a resumé is to get your butt into the interview. You can then explain yourself there.

No one will want to bother reading huge paragraphs about you. Most of the job search are now done with keywords too.

If you do have the spare cash, and your resumé is not all that great, then I could see it as being something good. If you are tight on cash, this would be a luxury I would skip out out. Simply go online and read the best practices, and you should get the most important info.

Gah! What the heck was that? Who in their right mind is going to read that?

I think you can do just as good or better on your own. There are lots of resources online to help you out. Have lots of people proofread it (actual people, spellcheckers only get you so far).

I use Foxit reader to view pdf files. Get it free here: link removed

You can view Word files with this Word viewer: link removed

or just get link removed and you should be able to open Word files with it.

You can download a free .pdf viewer from the adobe site as well.

I could see using a resume service if I had alot of experience that didn't have a very strong focus.

If I were you, I would update my resume and send it out for a couple of weeks to see the response. If you get bites, no need to spend the money. If it's been two weeks and you haven't gotten a call (but sent out your resume) then I would look at a service.

The point of a resumé is to get your butt into the interview. You can then explain yourself there.

No one will want to bother reading huge paragraphs about you. Most of the job search are now done with keywords too.

If that is a sample, there is no way you should pay them to write for you. Unless you have 15+ years of experience, your resume should not be longer than one page. They're combining a resume and a cover letter!!

I've seen several good formats online that you can use where it is a simple, clear-cut way of presenting yourself. Look for free resources, there are plenty out there.

Good luck!!

I have about 10 years experience and my resume is 1 page.

When I interviewed the HR person laughed and told me that he thought I had earned two pages.

I think your resume should show that you meet the qualifications for the position, you really sell yourself in the interview.

That's amazing! I also have about 10 years experience and I can't seem to shrink my resume down to 2 pages. I just moved around to lot of different positions I guess ... it's a bit of a chore to have to explain in interviews though.

Archived