Open Club  ·  36 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Psychology Books

chrissykissy83

Hey everyone, Im thinking (well applying and hopefully will be accepted to do a psychology degree in september) and well im looking for some useful reads to swat up ready, I was wondering if anyone here could suggest one?

Theres meant to be modules in cognitive and social psychology, ive looked online but there are millions of them

Read some of the stuff by Freud and Jung? Milton? I think those are some big names in psychology/sociology.

I'm not much into psychology myself, although I'm just starting with "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" which is fiction, but should still be interesting.

Read some of the stuff by Freud and Jung? Milton? I think those are some big names in psychology/sociology.

I'm not much into psychology myself, although I'm just starting with "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest" which is fiction, but should still be interesting.

cool i'll check those ones out thanx did get a book on cognitive psychology today so it should be a good read

Just not Milton! LOL

You'll want general books on the schools of thought regarding psychology/development (including behavioural, biological and all that jazz) and personality/child development to begin with. Your course booklet will have a list of specific books designed to run alongside your course so just ensure you get general books.....see if you can find out the module/unit titles you'll be doing as that will give you a general idea of what subjects to look further into.

Hey everyone, Im thinking (well applying and hopefully will be accepted to do a psychology degree in september) and well im looking for some useful reads to swat up ready, I was wondering if anyone here could suggest one?

Theres meant to be modules in cognitive and social psychology, ive looked online but there are millions of them

No doubt you'll want David G. Meyers Psychology book. It's one of the best textbooks I've ever read- doesn't even read like a textbook really! It's very good and pretty thorough. This is a popular text choice for Psych 101 and will cover all the basics. It has a pretty extensive chapter on Cognition too.

You're going to love psychology! I just finished up a self-study course it was great! I'm thinking about majoring in it when I go to college next year.

No doubt you'll want David G. Meyers Psychology book. It's one of the best textbooks I've ever read- doesn't even read like a textbook really! It's very good and pretty thorough. This is a popular text choice for Psych 101 and will cover all the basics. It has a pretty extensive chapter on Cognition too.

You're going to love psychology! I just finished up a self-study course it was great! I'm thinking about majoring in it when I go to college next year.

Im really nervous to do this degree though, Im scared I wont be able to structure my coursework and everything.

I havent schooled since i was 18/19 when i started doing a Ba Hons in Fine art, but realized I wasnt enjoying it like I should, so I quit. even though my grades were good,lol.

I bought several books the other day, I got:

Complete A-Z Psychology Handbook by Mike cardwell,

Psychology A graphic Guide To Your Mind and Behaviour

Cognitive Psychology a students handbook fifth edition by michael w eysenck and mark t keane

The Oxford Companion to the Mind -R.L. Gregory

I have too much to read now though, hehe.

Those look like an interesting read. I'm a psychology major as well, I currently have 'Criminal Psychology' and 'The Psychology of Beauty' to read (forgot the authors).

You could always pick up a copy of the DSM-IV, should take awhile to get through.

Wasn't Milton the one that designed the experiments shocking people and exploring the authority, obedience, responsibility, guilt factors? Maybe I'm wrong, and I know those experiments have since been outlawed, but still quite interesting.

Wasn't Milton the one that designed the experiments shocking people and exploring the authority, obedience, responsibility, guilt factors? Maybe I'm wrong, and I know those experiments have since been outlawed, but still quite interesting.

I think you are referring to Stanley Milgram. His goal was to make sense of why people obey perceived authority figures and the effect it has on their conscience. The context of the Nazi war fueled his curiosity.

It is indeed very interesting research- and also one of the reasons that ethics is such a big issue in research today. Almost every intro psych book will discuss his work in some context- but to read the original journal article is even better. It appeared in the journal of abnormal and social psychology.

I always made a point of it to go back and read the primary source because a secondary source like a psychology textbook does not do most work justice. They can provide good summaries however.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mistakes were Made (but not by me): Why we Justify foolish beliefs, bad decisions and hurtful acts.

Simply one of the best popular science books I've read. Clearly written, easy to read, and full of interesting examples of rationalization, which are made clear equally intriguing studies about we how we rationalize decisions or things we know to be bad. This book will make you a more honest person by giving you snippets of what we know about how our mind works.

Archived