So today was my last day at work.

People never do really stay in touch. They say they will, but they don't. It's just the way life is. Soon, you will be all involved in your new adventures and they will be greeting your replacement. It's a good thing, too. Life goes on no matter what.

People never do really stay in touch. They say they will, but they don't. It's just the way life is. Soon, you will be all involved in your new adventures and they will be greeting your replacement. It's a good thing, too. Life goes on no matter what.

+1

To the OP I felt the same way when high school finished. I wanted to be out of high school, but we graduated and we were off on our own track and we were all goign our own ways. Did we really stay in touch? No. Did I make some effort? Yes, I did but didn't work out. Its really sad but like said above everyone will be greeting the new guy/girl and you'll be a thing of the past.

This is true.

It's because most/all relationships are contextual. Some contexts are durable (family ties, location if you live in a small town, etc.), whereas other ones are not (jobs, school, etc.).

I've managed to maintain loose contact, for example, with my college friends (who are scattered accross ten states now) ... but that loose contact means an email once every few months at this point. My life is filled with other people and activities as are theirs. Work colleagues with whom I have been close have generally dropped off the radar screen fiarly quickly after job changes, because the context was missing.

Contextual relationships are not a bad thing, they are a part of life.

Archived