Open Club  ·  36 members  ·  Free

Book Talk

Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier

niczeegs

Has anyone read the book Rebecca? Or seen the movie?

Well, I'm currently reading Mrs. de Winter by Susan Hills - it's a sequel to Rebecca in the eyes of the narrator once again but taken place about 10 years later. It's pretty good but the author seems to be trying to write like Du Maurier and it sort of throws me off. Haha.

Anyone fans of Rebecca or Du Maurier out there?

Yes, I am a big fan of Daphne Du Maurier. I saw the movie Rebecca with Sir Laurence Olivier and Joan Fontaine. Great movie! Other Du Maurier books I have read: Frenchman's Creek (that was made into a movie in the late 1990's), Jamaica Inn, Mary Anne, I'll Never Be Young Again, Rule Britannia and The House on the Strand. My favourite Du Maurier book, aside from Rebecca, is The House on the Strand...a man is staying at his friend's house and his friend has created a potion that allows himself to be transported to the same village but back in time 600 years. The man takes the potion and is an observer into the life of certain people who lived in the village 600 years earlier. Although his mind is transported back to that time, his body is very much in the present...so while he is walking around following these people from 600 years ago going about their activities, he is actually walking around in the present day village. The effects of the potion wear off after a couple of hours and then he finds himself in the present day village wherever he had happened to be walking to in his visions of 600 years ago. He keeps taking the potions in order to find out a certain mystery from 600 years ago. Very fascinating book.

Archived