HPV is the virus which causes genital warts. There is no cure for HPV. Genital warts can be removed. Dangers of HPV other than warts is an increased chance of cervical cancer. HPV is the leading STD it is thought that 50% of infected persons are unaware that they are carrying the virus. There are lots of strains, I believe up to 50. Also to give you some reassuarnce several years ago I had genital warts and they were treated and removed. A year later I had a clear pap and still do. There is no cure for HPV but your body can beat the virus, just not all strains and they don't know how to induce the healing.

I have a friend that has it and she is doing just fine. She's had it for a little over 2 years. She has medicine that treats it and she lives with it. Just remember that if you take care of it then it won't get out of control. If you don't have it that's great. But...it doesn't change who you are.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I understand, HPV can't be eliminated from your system, but you can have the warts removed.

Just an FYI, all humans have a form of this virus in some way or another, you just happen to have the strain that is contagious. It's trickier than that actually.. women have increased risk of cervical cancer.

If you do have it, you need to always tell your partners, because until there is a cure, you may give it to them.

You really need to have a pap smear twice a year now I believe to keep on top of this.

For whatever reason, due to the latest in DNA technology, I have a feeling a cure is on the way but I have not heard of anything substantial yet.