What are YOUR views on cannabis?

heya... well i would just like to say that i think it should be legalised.. for the following reasons.....

1. It has been proven to help medically in some situations. 2. It has never killed anyone of cause significant harm to anyone.

3. i think it would become less popular because people would feel less like a rebel for smoking it !.

x

I agree,especially with the last bit.Coz if you think about it,if it was sold in shops they would put so much tax and v.a.t on it that it would be miles more expensive!! i also think that if there wasnt so much emphasis on trying to catch people simply having a joint in their own homes then there would be more effort being put into catching big time criminals! !

Any other views?

I agree

On a slightly more general point, I don't think it's right to criminalise the behaviour of people when it doesn't affect anybody else.

Whether or not cannabis is harmful or not, it doesn't cause anti-social behaviour and to tell consenting adults what they can and can't do is too authoritarian for me.

Legalisation will also reduce the kudos that those seeking approval from thier peers get from smoking cannabis

Interesting topic.

I feel that it should be legalized for some of the reasons mentioned. It takes too much manpower to try and catch all who use it. It does have medicinal purposes, and were it legalized it would not be as "cool" to do.

To elaborate a bit more on that, I feel that when something is restricted it causes more crime than less. In this instance, more people are smoking this because it is illegal, many are after the thrill. It's in high demand here, but what would happen if it was not so restricted? Would the thrill then be gone?

As was pointed out, it doesn't really cause physical harm, although I have seen a friend of mine who experienced a not so fun experience with it and that is one reason I have never and would never use it. However, if you think about it, alcohol is fairly prominent in deaths as I have noted many times passing our sherriff's office and seeing their statistics posted. If alcohol is legal and can cause bad side effects, why is marijuana illegal?

Just my thoughts.

Put an age on it like alcohol and it would be a great thing! Too many people are in jail taking up space and using our money because of frivilous marijuana crimes. Why waste the police manpower to arrest somebody for smoking a joint? It doesn't seem worth it to me.

I hope that if/when(hopefully in my lifetime) it is legalized people will realize that it is not the 'gateway' drug, and that all people need to do is control themselves. It's not the drug that causes the problems, it's irresponsible people.

I personally think that pot has may advantages. Not only medical advantages, which is absolutely wonderful for those who it helps! But I've known people, myself included, who are entirely too high strung and it helps to calms the nerves. It may not be the best way to deal with things, but it sure does make life a little easier to handle sometime.

Moderation is all that is needed. Make it available to anyone over 21, and offer classes like AA when needed, and let people do as they please. Why not - it's not like you get all amped up and cause a scene.

I smoke it once in a while but not very often, but when I was in my early 20's well that's a different story.

Anyways I live in CANADA and they just passed a new law that it is not Illegal to have 8grams of it for personal or medical use. They basically decriminalized it. So that said you may get a ticket(Fine) such as a speeding ticket but no criminal record. Which I guess could be a good and a bad thing.

To answer you're question I think it should be legal for people of a certain age such as drinking. By legalizing it the Government gets to control the quality and potency of it.Again a good and a bad thing. And also may cut down on the trafficking and crime of it.

I'd probably support a vote to legalize it, but only on the assumption that it was thoughtfully controlled. Contrary to the consensus view here, I think cannabis in the United States would not necesarily be harmless. First of all, it has been proven to put a lot of stress on the heart and lungs...more than tobacco cigarettes. That affects not only the "recreational" users, but also society via higher medical costs. Second, marijuana differs from alcohol in that you smoke to get stoned, whereas you can have 1-2 drinks at dinner and still drive home legally sober. In other words, one does not always drink to get drunk, but marijuana is always smoked to get high. Third, most people travel in the United States by automobile. In Amsterdam, people can easily get around by foot, bicycle or public transportation. So, I would expect an increase in the number of traffic deaths if people go to "hash bars" in the States.

Despite all these concerns, I think it makes sense to offer marijuana for medicinal purposes, and perhaps allow light recreational use, perhaps in "hash bars" that require some kind of sobriety before you can leave. Also, the criminal justice system does seem overtaxed with drug crimes, especially in New York State with the so-called Rockefeller Laws. We don't need to slap serious criminal records on people for smoking pot, unless it involves some kind of vehicular manslaugther.

Hi Sweets, interesting topic ;

i think it should be legalised but with strict laws controlling its cirulation and that it should like alchol be only sold to adults

otherwise i dont get what the big deal is , i tried it once didnt get what the fuss was about, so i am just stickin to my pints of beer

• 3 weeks later...

My views on cannabis are that it's like any other drug, including alcohol, cigarettes, sugar and caffeine. You can probably have good experiences with it, but it can also lead to abuse and wasting of life.

However, I think all drugs should be legalized... I don't want to pay for the enforcement to try to stop people from growing plants in the ground. It's a losing proposition no matter how you cut it. Like someone said here, every person has to make some mistakes, and some are drugs, some are affairs, and some are crimes... it's find the ones you can rehabilitate and moving them on that's the tricky part.

I'm very open minded about drugs when dating, but I'm also practical. Girls on heroin, crack, crank, coke, PCP and/or constant MDMA use are by nature not ready for a relationship. Another way of looking at it is that I'm not ready for a relationship with the burden of massive drug use. Either way, in my view, some things you just don't overlook. Occasional pot, coke, alcohol, cigarettes, etc. doesn't bother me, although I'm still squeamish about coke for some reason (I've never done it myself, and have no plans to).