bad student feedback-ouch

butterfly45

Received my student evaluations for the end of my first term as a lecturer. It wasn’t an ego boost that’s for sure:

I’m too quiet (which I knew would come up because I’m lecturing in a room with no microphone). My lectures are boring and have a lack of content, and the other lecturer is much better. Finally, I don’t know what I am talking about so I’m not much help during seminars.

Gutted and currently hate students.

I flagged up the microphone issue to facilities and they just told me I couldn’t have one. so like you said might have to work on voice projecting.

I find quite a few students to be quite engaging during my lectures. They will add things or ask questions without being prompted. Seminars it’s always the same students who are willing to discuss. So not sure how other students can tell I don’t know anything if they never ask or when I offer help they say they’re fine.

You need to find ways to make class more engaging for more of your students. If the other lecturer is flagged as better, attend their lectures - and other well respected instructors - and understand what they do different.

These reviews are not done to hurt you but to get you better at your job. Remember, these students are paying a LOT of money to listen to you talk. They want it to be worthwhile.

I flagged up the microphone issue to facilities and they just told me I couldn’t have one. so like you said might have to work on voice projecting.

I find quite a few students to be quite engaging during my lectures. They will add things or ask questions without being prompted. Seminars it’s always the same students who are willing to discuss. So not sure how other students can tell I don’t know anything if they never ask or when I offer help they say they’re fine.

Can you move around when talking at times during your lectures? if its always the same students - you need to engage the others.

Archived