Organization is one of the keys to success. It can help you achieve goals, manage your time more wisely, and have better control over your life. The habits of those who are highly organized can serve as a blueprint to help you stay on track and remain productive in your work and personal life. Here are some simple yet powerful habits that you can start adopting today:
1. Prioritize: Prioritizing your time and tasks is a must, as it allows you to organize your day and get the most important tasks done first, thereby eliminating any procrastination. Assign specific times for each task and stick to them.
2. Apply “The 4 D’s”: Use the 4 D’s approach when organizing tasks and activities. This means deciding whether to do, delete, delegate, or defer the task. If a task is not worth doing, deleting it from your list would be best. Likewise, if a task can be delegated and it’s not necessary for you to do it, do so. For tasks you want to defer, decide if and when you need to tackle them down the line.
3. Take Notes: Make use of digital and physical notebooks or choose an app like Evernote or Wunderlist to remind yourself of tasks and notes. Doing this helps to declutter your mind, allowing you to focus on the current task and have everything you need saved safely and easily available.
4. Utilize Due Dates: Not only do setting due dates help you to stay organized, they also help you to have a clear timeline with achievable goals. When making lists, assign each task with a due date and develop a schedule that you can follow.
5. Break Down Tasks: To make sure large tasks don’t overwhelm you, break them down into smaller parts and plan each step, completing one task at a time. Doing this ensures that you complete the project on time and with assured quality results.
6. Declutter: Take time out from your busy schedule, and tidy up your workspace, home and car. Getting rid of the clutter around you will help you focus on the task at hand and feel more organized by avoiding any unnecessary scatter on your desk or workspace.
7. Make Time for Routine Care: Dedicate quality time out of each day to perform daily chores, such as taking a shower, ironing clothes, and washing dishes. When done regularly, these tasks become habit, freeing up your time and allowing you to add other important reminders or tasks to your list.
As you go about adding these habits to your routine, take time out each evening to plan for the next day. Doing this will allow you to go to bed knowing what to expect. Highly organized individuals also practice healthy rituals, such as meditation or yoga, as these help them destress and recharge. These steps will help you to achieve your goals and have a better sense of control over your life.