little-to-zero progress...

Ok, I started about two weeks ago to lift pretty seriously (so this would be the 3rd week already), but mostly for the upper body, then last week I started doing legs as well (so it was like monday, wednesday, friday upper body, and tuesdays and thursdays lower body). This time around I'm eating like a friggin pig compared to what I was eating before, because I was told by a nutritionist that I needed to eat more with this level of activeness and whatnot. So last week I was doing pretty good, and I thought I already had started to look better. But then this week it's like I'm flabbier than before, and it just plain sucks. I don't even feel soreness the following day, and I dunno why. So I do the only thing I can do, add more reps (because I'm not getting stronger for some reason... only a wee little bit maybe) and I still don't feel sore the next day. I've no clue what to do anymore. This is getting to the point of being ridiculous man. I increased my protein intake pretty significantly and I'm even eating more from the bread (whole grain, btw) and grains group and also more fruit, greens etc, I just don't think it is what I'm eating that's creating this problem... maybe it's the workout itself? I just dunno what to do man... And no, I can't find a personal trainer for a reasonable price, so forget that alternative. Please help me.

PS: I spend about an hour at the gym every morning already, and I can't find any more time to do any more stuff such as pilates and yoga, even though I truly wish I did... So besides those suggestions, is there anything else?

Some of the serious weight trainers around here will be able to give you more specific info, but I will point out...it's been just a mere two weeks. From what I understand, it takes a couple of months before you start to see tangible results. Six months for "hey, whoa...I'm really seeing some MAJOR changes" and then after a year, "Wow, a total transformation!"

So, remember...you've got your whole life to create the physique you want. Don't let impatience burn you out in the beginning. Tell yourself you're committed to this for a year and then your patience will kick in a bit more.

And give yourself a pat on the back for incorporating a regular exercise routine in your life! Compliment yourself for your efforts, don't discourage yourself.

hey, I dont know what your work out consists of. But, you're right if you are looking to gain muscle or mass, the name of the game is getting sore. Don't over work your muscles... only work out 4 or 5 times a day. Also it you want to be more tone then massive, then make sure you have a good amount of cardio exercises. Otherwise, like in my situation, I have a really fast metabolism, it's best to avoid alot of cardio. Oh yea, glutamine intake is important to put all that protien to use. Hope I helped.

I understand it takes time, but why am I going backwards? It makes no sense.

only work out 4 or 5 times a day. Also it you want to be more tone then massive, then make sure you have a good amount of cardio exercises.

4 or 5 times A DAY? I'm sorry I just can't do that. Are you sure it's not a week? Cause I do work out 5 times a week for about an hour (30 minutes cardio then 30 minutes weights). And I think the amount of cardio I do is good cause my metabolism is crap (I've lost a ton of weight, but it just plain sucks, cause I still look horrible and got all this flab, although I'm at a healthy weight, that won't go away EVER unless I lift, hopefully). I don't care what I end up looking like at this point, I just want to look better than I do now. My initial goal was just to slim down, but it apparently isn't possible, you know? To look like a friggin normal person by losing weight just by doin cardio. I don't care whether I end up gaining size or toning, I just want to feel the progress man... I just feel flabbier than before I started and it just sucks... And I just dunno how to get sore anymore man. I can't lift any more weight than what I do already, and I even try adding more reps, but don't get sore man. I'm going to pm you some details about my workout routine if you don't mind. Thank you and best wishes.

DOMS = delayed onset muscle syndrome

whether you get DOMS or not is not reflective of muscle growth. you tend to get DOMS if you overuse muscles that you don't regularly use (go skiing, ride a bike if you haven't done it in a long time). it's normal to not experience DOMS after you've settled into a workout. as long as you are fatiguing your muscles, you will experience growth.

i think you're trying to lose weight based on your above description. you'll want to eat smaller meals several times a day, it increases your metabolism because your body will expect food more regularly and it will not store as much excess energy as when you consume less frequent large meals.

and definitely, it takes a LONG time to make long-term improvements to your body. slow and steady progress is what you want to focus on and sustain because that's what's realistic.