Friend talks about killing himself...

I have a friend who has a lot of mood swings. A few days he's happy and seems to have a lot of confidence and then for the next few weeks he's upset and moody and says he just thinks he should off himself. I can't tell if he's serious or not.

But what's the best way to respond when a friend talks about killing him/her self?

Do take all threats of suicide seriously

· Do not keep secrets that may result in the loss of a life

· Do contact someone who can act

· Do not just accept "I was only kidding"

· Do listen, do care, do call

Bethany said it well. Also, remember that a lot of depressed people are embarrased to admit their condition. They may deny it or try to cover it up. Try to get him to help.

• 2 weeks later...

i really think that the only thing u can do is to just be there and listen to him when he needs u to, i lot of people that want to kill themselves dont usually tell people they just do it, im not saying u friend is lying so i think u need to keep an eye on him, make sure is not falling deeper and deeper in this depression.

Sometimes people think about suicide when they feel that they can't handle what has happened, what is happening, or what will happen. Sometimes it's just a small phase, but like the above posts, take it seriously. You don't know when someone is joking or not. I think that person needs to talk to someone s/he can really rely and depend on. People are intimidated by adults/professionals, so start off by trying to help your friend. If it doesn't work, bring him/her to the professionals.