increasing social life through physical activities

Hi, I just found out today that I could spend my Saturdays playing drop-in basketball at a local college in the morning and then going to a salsa dance class around 12:00 pm. My main goal is to meet new people in a collaborative environment. Bike riding is fun but it is a solo activity, no matter how many people are in the group.

However, I realize that I need to prepare myself (everything has to start next weekend since I missed out today) and I was wondering what should I do to physically prepare myself for both activities? The salsa class is a beginners class but I am not to sure about level of players in the drop-in basketball. Also, I will be going by myself which is OK for some people but not OK for others.

sounds like a great way to go out and do something positive and meet new people. I would just say go and have fun - as for preparing yourself don't worry too much about that - maybe practise up on your basketball skills or something but you will see when you get there how you fit in. After the first session you will decide if you fit in with their level or not.. I'm sure you will be just fine though. Have fun!

sfboi415,

I like to swim and rock climb. I go swimming alone, but that´s kind of my "personal moment", every weekday I go 2.5k - 3k on the pool, where I can forget about all my problems, projects, deadlines, ex-girlfriends and whatnot and just enjoy one of my favorite activities (that and it keeps me healthy as well). I rock climb every weekend with my best friend. Since we graduated college, that seemed to be the best way to keep in touch with him. You gotta have something to vent in the real world, basketball sounds fun. Don´t worry about conditioning and skills for now, just go out and have fun. Meet new people, make new friends, unwind from you week, whatever. Sure beats staying home saturday morning and watching TV.

As for salsa... excellent choice. I´m guessing you have issues with being shy as well, dancing is (I´m told) a excellent way to deal with shyness (that and it works to meet chicks too ). I´m taking drama classes and I can already feel some difference. It might work for you just the same. And if it doesn´t, you can go out dancing on weekends and have a good time.

But I digress... my point is -- do whatever you feel it´s fun. Wait, that had nothing to do with what you asked, but you get my point...