I have moderate acne and have been using proactiv for a long time. I used to help but I feel that lately it hasn't really been effective, it's actually gotten worse. I went to the doctor today and was perscribed with, if I spell it right. Deoxicycline (just like tetricycline).

Does anyone have experience with this drug? How well does it work? When I start to see results, etc.

Thanks.

Might it be spelled Doxycycline?

I personally have never had experience with Acne drugs as in the past I only used over the counter sorts. Yet, this page gives a wealth of information if it is the same one you were prescribed.

link removed

I used to have bad acne..and its gotten better..i have used proactiv..but it didnt really work..but if u r in desperate need.. when u goto a store to buy a over the counter product..like neutragina (if thats how you spell it) or clean and clear...look to see if it has benzoil peroxide..its the #1 active ingredient of killing acne..so see the percentge of it..and if it has a lot of it..it should help..

Doxycycline or minocycline (correct related to Tetracycline class) is an antibiotic which has interactions with calcium, so any food/drinks such as milk, yogurt should not be taken with them. So if you eat/drink any kind of food that has calcium space them apart to take your doxycycline one hour before or 4 hours afterwards. The calcium binds to it & it will lower it's effectiveness.

Also if you're out in the sunlight, your skin will be more sensitive to the light, so wear sunblock or cover up otherwise you'll burn much quicker.

Antibiotics worked for me, but from my standpoint as a health professional in the long run, I am concerned of developing resistance to the drug. So in case in the future I come down with a bad infection (requiring hospitalization) that requires this medication, it may not be as effective, since you're getting a low dose over a long period of time for acne. So now I use Pro-activ as well & use birth control pills since it's hormonal. I also make sure to exfoliate my skin gently to remove the build up of dead skin cells about once a week, but I don't overwash my skin otherwise that dries it out & end up producing more oil.

When I used the antibiotics, for me I noticed the results immediately. But in general with any acne product should give it around 3 months to see progress.