conversational patterns

Hi,

Has anyone noticed that when we converse with friends or co-workers, we do it in patterns? Example: I'll compliment someone's new hairstyle..A friend shares an opinion about his city's football team. I made a list of the different styles of social conversating.

Criteria:

PERSONAL OPINIONS

OBSERVATIONS

COMPLIMENTS

SHARING INFORMATION (various subjects, including self)

STORYTELLING (mainly about your own experiences, others, or about an event or situation)

My question is, what do you do the most when talking with friends or co-workers that you're cool with? What's usually the one that builds connections or friendships the most, besides compliments?

i usually make them laugh somehow. i can be a real goofy@$$ & sometimes i make up dumb voices & make fun of the person im talking to. or telling stories about life & things & spice it up a knotch. i sometimes ask dumb questions that ppl may look back @ u & be like 'wwwwwwhat??' or just be very sarcastic & outgoing about whatever. but when it gets to be an awkward silence i usually just bring up thier family & friends ask how theyre doing or something i know theyd be interested in talking about.

i worked as a waitress & bartender since i was 16 so i can start a good coversation with just about anyone.

-DG724

Hi,

COMPLIMENTS

SHARING INFORMATION (various subjects, including self)

STORYTELLING (mainly about your own experiences, others, or about an event or situation)

to be able to build a friendship I usually need to expose myself (be vulnerable) and also share my experiences, to show i'm on the same level as them. That usually gets people comfortable enough with me. Once this is established I can share my opinions and observations. Once you start exposing yourself, people tend to open up to you. Unless of course it was this first impression thing and they have an instand dislike in you

• 2 weeks later...
i usually make them laugh somehow. i can be a real goofy@$$ & sometimes i make up dumb voices & make fun of the person im talking to. or telling stories about life & things & spice it up a knotch. i sometimes ask dumb questions that ppl may look back @ u & be like 'wwwwwwhat??' or just be very sarcastic & outgoing about whatever. but when it gets to be an awkward silence i usually just bring up thier family & friends ask how theyre doing or something i know theyd be interested in talking about.

i worked as a waitress & bartender since i was 16 so i can start a good coversation with just about anyone.

DragonGirl, you seem like an exprert in conversations.

What do u think might be a good convo opener in malls/stores?

Ive worked as a pool attendant for a year and a half so I have too talk to literally everyone - it was SOOOO scary when I started! I find just answering their questions honestly is a good idea.... And dont ask too many! On my first date with my last GF we just sat and talked for 2 hours, and we where like, Wheres the time gone!!?? I geuss im just lucky!

Dan

Doctor Smurf

Ive worked as a pool attendant for a year and a half so I have too talk to literally everyone - it was SOOOO scary when I started! I find just answering their questions honestly is a good idea....

So you meet girls only thorugh work? Thats sounds easy you dont even have to think about it...