About getting saved?

How many people have "gotten saved"...and what do yall know about getting saved because it seems like there are tons of christians that claim to be saved....

Being saved in my eyes is to accept the lord as your savior and his blood rinses away your sins and so forth...How many people can truly say they are saved...My pastur at my church said if you dont get saved and you werent ever witnessed to then your not going to hadee's. But if you were witnessed to and didn't take the chance then you are going to HAdes...so i was just wonderin what everyones perspective of this is...

WOW! Nice topic. Somebody once posed this question as an example for "the man on the island". Basically, if there was a man on the island, and he never came in contact with anyone, ever, and nobody ever shared the gospel to him, then would the man go to heaven or hell? The answer is Hell. Let me tell you why. The only way to heaven is through Jesus Christ. So unless you have accepted Jesus Christ as your savior, your sins still have not been accounted for. Your sins are what sends you to Hell. So, regardless of whether or not you have heard the gospel and either rejected or accepted it, you still have your sins to account for. Jesus dying on the cross was the one, and only sacrafice for everyone's sins. So unless you accept this you are going to Hell.

Now, before you start thinking that that is unfair, let me answer that question also. It says in Romans that everyone instinctively understands sin. It is built into you. Its really called your conscience. It is impossible not to have one. Whether someone chooses to ignore that conscience is another subject. Also, one instinctively recognizes that there is a divine being....God. Now, it also states in the bible that anyone who wants to be forgiven for their sins, will have the opportunity to. To keep it short and simple, once someone understands their sin, and if someone wants to be forgiven for their sins, God will somehow send someone their way and share with them the gospel.

But to answer the original question, if one has not accepted the Gospel, then they go to Hell. If you have truly accepted Christ, then you go to Heaven. There are exceptions for the like of babies and types of retardation, but that can be discussed later.

This subject is extremely deep and this scratches less than a fraction of the surface. PM if you want to more details.

i find it hard to believe that people who have never heard of Jesus go to hell...

What about mentally handicapped people? They go to hell? I don't think so, because you will still go to Heaven if you don't hold the mental cap. to understand, so why would someone not ever hearing about it understand who Jesus was?

I understand what acts12 is saying however I don't feel that this is entirely true.

A baby is born into a world filled with sin. They can not be ministered to for they have no comprehension. However they go to heaven.

A person that has never seen a bible, or even heard of Christianity or any other omnipotent being for that matter is subject to eternal damnation. But, I personally believe that God knows a persons heart. He understands the times of peril that a person has gone through in their life. He understands why a person thinks like they do. Why a person may be bitter and everything that makes the human race tick. So with that said, don't you think that there may be some exceptions to the rule?

Everyone has rules, but all rules are subject to change

HA HA HA

I know plenty of "saved people" and I think many of them have HAdes etched on their tush. They may hvae been saved but they're still sinning. A few even worse after being saved than before being saved.

I think if you live a good, honest life then you'll go to heaven. I know people who haven't been saved and who don't practice organized religion and they're the most honest, nice, fair, caring, true, good people you would ever meet. I truly don;t believe people like them will go where it's hot and the other people I know who are mean, spiteful, and saved will go to heaven simply because one was not saved and one was.

What about people who aren't Christians? Will other people of other religins go to Hades because they not Christians? I don't think so. What makes their beliefs any less valid? What about people who lived before the spread of Christianity? Will they have to suffer because they lived in the wrong place at the wrong time?

Svenman and Desired1 made some great pointstoo about babies and the mentally handicapped. There are huge exceptions to this.

Religion isn't all bvlack and white. There are grey areas too.

Exactly , my church is so strict on this stuff and my pastur laid it out flat that my friend was taken by the devila nd not the lord because he wasnt saved ALTHO he was christian and NOBODY ever Witnessed to him about getting saved.,...It just comes to this question and it just seems so unfair to me. I am saved but it just i dont even know

Kinda redicolous when your church leader tries to scare you into believing.... I don't think I could stay in a church that used something like "the devil is in you because you haven't been saved."

I know a lot of really nice people who do not believe in GOD at all...

I don't see the Devil in them.

The whole saying of living a good life or whatever and being saved i did believe un til i started going to this church and int he bible it says you will have trials and tribulations that God will have you go through that pretty much is a test. And on Judgement day it says that some thing about accepting the Lord as your savior Your sins are washed away. And you only have a certain amount of sins that God will indeed Erase completley REPEATING them over and over again makes God mad. The thing is about the whoel live life good go to heaven is what SOOO many churches believe but I myself go to a First Baptist Bible church and we actually Study the bible and what the Lord has to say and it clearifies it in there...LAtley tho i havnt even read it because of the fact my GOOD friend was put to rest by the "devil"...

sorry to say, but you can try to be the best person you can be, but u will still sin, sinning goes on without you knowning about it. I believe in GOD, and Jesus, but I don't neccisarily take everything from the bible 100%, I believe the Bible is more of a tool, to improve your relationship with GOD. I just believe there are some things you must find on your own, and your own personal relationship with GOD.

I just wanna comment on the man on the island thing, how could he commit sin, if no one else is around? can you commit sin, if nobody else would be affected by it, or nobody else is involved? like really, what kind of evil could he do? He wouldnt even be able to speak, all he would worry about is staying alive, and that would be instinct, lol, I know this wasnt serious, sorry.

I know some people who brag about being saved and they use this as an excuse to sin more than the unsaved. Knowing that their sins will be "washed away" later. To me that's unsavory, shady, and unfair.

What about people who practice other religions? Will they go not go to heaven because they practice another religion and they were not saved under the context of Christianity? Even if they have faith in some form of God (different name, same role)

In the bible, all it says is, believe in Jesus christ, that he died for you, to forgive your sins, I think that is all we need to get to heaven, to believe. Also, we dont know much about religion, everybody has a different perspective on it, and everybody has there own opinions, we were only given a jig saw puzzle of the truth, with many missing pieces, so what many people preach to be the only way, is probally just a personal opinion of there own or somebody elses that they have adopted. I think God is very understanding and will look at each person individually in a different way, to judge them, I dont think he has a checklist, and if you dont make it, your goin to hell.

SOle...I know exactly what you mean by ppl using it as an excuse to do worse , but affter gettin saved thats when God likes to test you the most and the devil at the same time is tryin to make you do the opposit of good...its not that easy...

I am saved and went to this church camp and everything , but its not like i planned to "sin" ...Its just there's somethings that will tak emuch more time for you to get right with God...

Svenman...What happened when you got saved? Did you get like Baptised or what? there are so many different kinda "being saved"...

I have another question?

What would you do if God came today? what would you say? How would you act? ...Its a easing thought in a way but then again it kind of scares me because HE see's everything ...and its just like wow..but yeah lol

Wow, A lot to discuss here. This is exciting.

i find it hard to believe that people who have never heard of Jesus go to hell...

What about mentally handicapped people? They go to hell?

I said this.......

There are exceptions for the like of babies and types of retardation, but that can be discussed later.

Religion isn't all bvlack and white. There are grey areas too.

If you read the Bible, you will find that it is very very specific about who goes to heaven and who goes to hell. Christianity was the first and original religion. All the others are simply "Johnny come latelys". The Bible is very specific in warning about these "Johnny come latelys" and simply states that they are wrong. If you were to do a study, and actually pick apart these other religions, you would notice an extreme lack of substance behind them and actually prove that they couldnt be true. i.e. islam and muhammad.......Joseph Smith and mormonism....the list goes on. However, has anybody ever been able to do that with the Bible and Christianity?

Kinda redicolous when your church leader tries to scare you into believing.... I don't think I could stay in a church that used something like "the devil is in you because you haven't been saved."

I couldnt agree more. I say state the facts and let people make their own decisions.

I know plenty of "saved people" and I think many of them have HAdes etched on their tush. They may hvae been saved but they're still sinning. A few even worse after being saved than before being saved.

Becoming saved in no way means that you are done sinning. In fact, you will become even more aware of your sins! Everybody sins. Your pastor sins. Becoming saved simply means that you understand that Christ died on the cross for your sins, and once you acknowledge that, then you can be forgiven, but that in no way means that you are done sinning. Not even close. Could you imagine never sinning again?

So with that said, don't you think that there may be some exceptions to the rule?
Does the Bible say that there are exceptions to the rule?[/i]

The bible is Gods word.

Or rather gods rule book or book of guidance.

Think of God as a parent. Parents set rules and guidelines for their children....right????(say yes)

Sometimes however those rules can be broken when necesary. \

God understands peoples heart. The Bible is just a way that god speaks to us. The bible is not the one that will judge us come judgement day. it will be god. No disrespect to the bible, but I would rather trust god than a book. also remember that the bible was not written during contemporary and modern times.

The only way to become closer to God and understand him is through Reading the Bible NO if ands or buts about it in Baptist ...but there are SO many different christians...

And its to Try to BEtter yourself and the Judgement day is coming so be prepared for it by getting saved is my word on this all...

The bible is Gods word.

then you said.......

No disrespect to the bible, but I would rather trust god than a book.

Do you have any idea what you just did?

Bottom line, if you are going to understand God and anything that comes from the Bible you must understand this first....John1:1-2 "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

What does this mean? Word; Greeks used this term not only of the spoken word but also of the unspoken word, the word still in the mind----the reason. When they applied it to the universe, they meant the rational principle that governs all things. Jews, on the other hand, used it as a way of referring to God. Thus John used a term that was meaningful to both Jews and Gentiles. with God; The Word was distinct from the Father, was God; Jesus was god in the fullest sense.

There should be no doubt in any way, shape, or form that the Bible is the Word of God. That means from God and that the entire thing is true. Otherwise, how would you know what parts to believe and what parts not to believe? One would be extremely foolish to pick and choose that.

It is so common, easy and typical for man to pick and chose parts of the Bible that they want to believe and the parts that they dont.

In my opinion, you cant say that one part is true and another isnt. It just isnt logical. You either believe it or you dont. You cant have you cake and eat it too! But you can surely try!

wanderer wrote:

i actually know of quite a few contradictions in the bible, some not very relevant and some that are quite significant...

Well then what are we waiting for.. Let us hear them. I think it would be best if you started with the big ones first though.

I also find it crazy that so many of you are saying things like I dont think God .......or I think God.........IF I WERE YOU I WOULDNT WANT TO SPEND ETERNITY BASED ON SOMETHING I THOUGHT, or some gut feeling. I would find out for sure. Even if it took doubting the Bible and Christianity to the fullest. I would want to KNOW FOR SURE AN ANSWER not go based on SOMETHING I THOUGHT, because, as we all have learned I am sure, that we are never promised tomorrow.

I have doubted the Bible and Christianity and everytime I did, it just posed itself a stronger case for me.

i really don't want to get that involved with this discussion because i am an athiest and tend to only piss people off with my views.

but here's a gib one:

the bible says god is unforgiving and melevolent to those who disobey him:

"I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy." (Jer. 13:14) "Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling."

the bible says god is merciful to all of his creations:

"The Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy." (James 5:11)

"For his mercy endureth forever." (1 Chron. 16:34)

"The Lord is good to all, and his tender mercies are over all his works." (Ps. 145:9)

"God is love." (1 John 4:16)

here's another smaller one:

PRO 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.

PRO 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

and there's other stuff; god created man, then beast. but it also says somewhere else that god created beast, THEN man. it also says that bats are birds, which obviously has no relevance but it still funny.

i was baptised... but I believe I was saved later, this is very hard to describe..... But its like, when I actually could understand my belief's for myself, not having someone put water on my head.

Wanderer brings up a good point, how god is unforgiving, but in the bible it also says he will always take you back, as long as you mean your sorry...

I know many people use that, and twist it to do things they know are wrong, but they know they can just say "oh please, take me back." and they will be 'saved.' If you are honestly sorry, you won't do it again.