Likely Going Nowhere but trying to Keep My Word

JayR

In October I called back some friends that I was working with to end my writing break from their entertainment business aspirations. They said I should try to write 4 episodes of a broadcast series by the year's end. So far (and this is mid-January), I have finished two and a half episodes after requesting an extra two weeks.

The reason I left the first time was because of frustration in my own work/efficiency, the isolation of trying to write with little input from them and others, no pay (other than a friend's invitation to borrow money from him), the little likelihood of this all leading to a developed product that I can have another hand in down the line, and the stress and disappointment surrounding it all. Then I still have to deal with my job, finding other jobs, running errands and paying bills. I don't even have much time to meet these guys once a week (not that I want to, in all honesty. I'm just kinda nervous and maybe left feeling inferior around these guys as they've each got the networking skills and organization and a life) and I feel very detached.

My goal is to ask for more time, finish the episode and a half then quit. My sister wants me to to quit now. What do I do?

How did you expect it to be different? (Genuine question, not sarcasm!)

i don't really get the question as I'm not really interested in changing the situation - I don't see what I can do to change things to the degree that makes me want to stay on board with them for the long term. I feel certain that I will leave soon. I just want to know whether or not I should even bother with finishing these 2 episodes of writing so I can save time and the hassles associated.

Well, if there's no contractual obligation and no money involved, I guess it boils down to two issues:

- Can you gain anything else from finishing them? (e.g. would they be useful samples of work to show around in future? more abstractly, will they help you develop as a writer?)

- Can you lose anything from not finishing them? (e.g. are these guys so well-connected that they could give you a bad reputation affecting your future chances of finding writing work?)

Well, if there's no contractual obligation and no money involved, I guess it boils down to two issues:

- Can you gain anything else from finishing them? (e.g. would they be useful samples of work to show around in future? more abstractly, will they help you develop as a writer?)

- Can you lose anything from not finishing them? (e.g. are these guys so well-connected that they could give you a bad reputation affecting your future chances of finding writing work?)

Question 1 - I could gain something from finishing them, but I could gain from a multitude of writing exercises and opportunities. It's just that with these particualr episodes I have to finish them within a certain time frame that I can't consistently meet certainly not without huge headaches.

Question 2 - Compared to me, these guys are George Clooney and Brad Pitt, but in a real world sense they are just getting started on a pretty long journey. They're not even relevant. I feel like there are many other people I can find/connect with/work with who are more than willing to take me aboard, if only I can just reach out and show that I'm serious about writing for the screen. The things I could do alone (as depressing as it could be, but liberating) can match or surpass their goals on MY TIME.

I could lose a little but gain alot. Or maybe I'm just delusional. You tell me.

When it comes to creativity, if your heart's not in it then your work will be garbage. Since garbage motivates no one, don't expect to be finishing it on time.

I'm with EssexMan on this, I say drop the project and do something else. Re-evaluate your reasons for doing what you're doing.

Also, don't compare yourself to anyone else. You have no idea about their journey. Focus on your own. You are unique, you inevitably have qualities that they do not have, so stop trying to live up to someone else and try playing to your own strengths for once. You'll notice that one thing all these Brad Pitt and George Clooney types have in common is that they're all playing to their strengths. They don't have to be apologetic to anyone or compare themselves to others, because they're simply good for being themselves and doing what they do best.

Just don't get caught up in only ever doing what you're good at. There's no shame in admitting defeat, if that's what it takes, it just means you need to look for a new challenge. Even pat yourself on the back for daring to find your own limitations. But never stop challenging yourself. You've done this one, it's not working out, either learn from it and do it better next time or find something else.

Just my 2 cents.

Archived