Getting a promotion soon, but how does one handle managing staff?

mammadon

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

* Know your HR rules and regs about workplace behaviour.

* Set the example, come in early and good to go.

* Do not play favorites.

* Keep a memo book so everybody is informed.

* Figure out what you are going to do once sexual harassment, male and female, starts and do it once it does.

* Figure out how you will fire someone, don't wait until you have to do it.

* Assign someone to keep notes at all your meetings and goals to be accomplished. This will help.

* Be someone that is respected not feared. If people can't come to you for time off, you are doing something wrong.

My 2 cents. Good luck.

I have a book to recommend by Dale Carnegie called "how to make friends and influence them". It's a great tale that illustrates how to be a natural leader and gives you examples and insights that you may face as a manager. Best of all, it's a fun and easy read.

I manage my staff by coaching them individually but I rarely micromanage nowadays. I rely on my staff to be the face of the company and I am the brain.

Congrats on the promotion! I was promoted to my first management position not too long ago and it was a little difficult to adjust. I am fairly young and that was my greatest challenge. It's very important to earn the respect of your direct reports, and one of the first training sessions I had focused on the importance of "quick wins" during your first 30-90 days as a manager. Little things that can help your team see you as their leader, bring everyone together, and show that you are perfectly capable of leading a team.

Another big thing I learned was you can not apply the same leadership strategy to every person and situation. There are varying leadership styles that vary from micro-managing to off-hands and a balance of both. What changes in each situation is your involvement and the involvement of your direct reports. If you apply the wrong type of leadership style to the wrong person/task, you will be faced with some resentment, lack of motivation and potential friction. It's like fitting the right shape to the right hole.

For example, if you have someone who has been in their role for a few years before you and is very experienced with the task you are asking them to do, you want to listen more and let them talk more. Ask questions to direct them to the answer/direction you want, while being respectful of their experience and knowledge. Ensure they understand you appreciate their help, however you also want to ensure they know they must respect your direction/decision. Where as, if you have someone newer and less experienced, you want to provide specific instructions and let them build their confidence.

Another important and very difficult lesson I learned was you are not perfect. Live by the 80/20 rule or you will stress/burn out. The goal is to take action and get the ball rolling. Trying to be perfect and plan every detail is impossible. Also related to this is the importance of delegation. I found it very difficult to delegate some work as I had personally put my reputation at stake on the successful completion of projects. Trusting someone else with that was difficult. But I realized that training, coaching and motivating are my role, and I must trust that I have been successful in that. If I have, they will be successful in completing the task/project at hand.

I have taken several leadership training courses through my company to help me be successful in my new role. If your company offers anything similar, I strongly recommend taking it. Also, your manager should also be able to coach/mentor you through this new role as they must have been in a similar position to be where they are now.

Everyone has told me the first management role is the most difficult, especially when you are promoted from peer to leader. Stay confident and don't let the gossip get to you. People will change and your relationships will change. Don't take it personally.

Good luck!

Archived