The relationship between my boss and I...ugh

Catdancer

Personally, I think he's a wussy. He is a kiss ass and plays the company politic game, which I dont do. I have told him time and again that I am not a kiss ass and I do not do "company politics". He pays me to make money and I do. I'm damn good at my job and my department's profits have done nothing but excel since I took over years ago. So, here's my dilema. He is allowing our advisors, the ones who make the bills to our customers (we're in an auto service industry) to charge less whenever they want. I just took a ticket to him and proved to him that we could have made approx $600 to $700 on this one ticket all in labor, which is what our profit is based on. The advisor charged $291 for labor, but when I bill this same repair out, I get $960. That's a $669 difference. And this happens ALL THE TIME. I even asked him 'do you realize how much money we are letting walk out the door?'. Our bonuses are based on net profit. And these huge eff ups are costing me, personally, alot of money that could be in my bonus. So, do I take this higher to our general manager and go over my boss's head? Now keep in mind, our general manager plays the politic game too, but he is no wussy AND he is MAJORLY about profits. And compared to our sister dealership we are WAYYY under in profit. I think this is a huge part of it. But how do I make people aware without making my boss mad at me? I KNOW our GM would do something, especially if it's involving profit, but what kind of fall out from my boss can I expect? I love my job and I dont want to be fired for trying to make us more money because I went over my boss's head. Ugh. what do I do? ](*,)

I would ask him to take a look again then say "why dont we get another opinion, lets bring it to GM together and get his thoughts". Kinda soft shoeing it without going behind his back to go over his head. He may get the feeling you're going to go to the GM anyway and want to jump on board for his own protection.

See, I also suggested a way to fix the problem. By using the schedule that I use to charge people. He agreed. So, what are we going to do to fix it?

The biggest problem is that my boss doesnt like conflict. He doesnt like to reprimand people, and I thought he was going to have a heart attack when we laid a couple of people off a year or so ago. He just doesnt like conflict. And with this type of problem coming from the advisors, he is going to HAVE to talk to them and call them on it. He never even said anything to the advisor that lost us $669, and he is sitting 6 feet away from him. IF I thought that my boss would actually DO something, then I'd have no problem letting him take care of it, but I know how he is. He is not "aggressive" like I am. He floats by and just lets happen. He doesnt take initiative. ugh!!

If you didn't say that you were in the auto industry, I'd ask if we were working for the same wuss!! I have a similar dilemma, but my boss is one of the owners, I have no one else to talk to about it.

I guess it depends on your relationship with the GM, and your bosses relationship with the GM. If you seriously think there is going to be backlash for going over your bosses head, you might want to refrain. But have you tried talking to your boss about the issue in detail? More than a passing comment, I mean. If you have, then I think it's under normal business practices to go to the next person in the chain of command with the issue. I mean really, if pissing away profits doesn't concern your boss, there is an issue that needs to be taken up with the next in command. Like you said, he is mucking about with the profitability of the company, and all the employee's bonuses. This doesn't just effect him, he is messing with everyone's income.

It is entirely possible your boss will feel that you have thrown him under the bus, but really if you have talked to him about it and he has brushed it off, then what other recourse do you have? I can't imagine they can fire you for bringing this situation to their attention, I mean you are looking out for the best interests of the company. But then again your boss might not see it that way. Ugh, this is a tough one!

Like I said, my boss is a wuss too, he'll cut bills left and right, or not charge for his time at a site because he doesn't want to lose clients. Then in the next breath complain to everyone about how much money we are losing. Ummmm, maybe we wouldn't be so far behind if you didn't give so much away for FREE. Idjit! He just donated about $4K worth of equipment to a client that would have paid for it, then tells us underlings that we might be looking at another year with no raises because we aren't making money. HELLLLOOOOOOO, is anyone in there?

I guess if you could find a way to plead your case to the GM without throwing your boss under the bus that would be the safest. Maybe just being more vague about who is doing the billing reductions (not that the GM wouldn't be able to figure it out)? Something like, "I've noticed alot of bills that are going out that have considerably less labor on them than they should and am concerned about how that reflects on the shop's bottom line." If the GM is as interested in profit as you say he is, I'm sure they will look into it.... I hope. This is a simple matter of dollars and sense, yes, sense, not cents. Good luck!

PS - I've been with my company for going on 12 years and still grit my teeth daily about the money that is wasted here... I gave up, personally. But I have no one else to go to about my conerns.

Thank you SP!! I've been trying to think of a way to talk to the GM privately, which wouldnt be a problem, and bring this up. The problem is that my boss will know it was me who went to him. The GM is big on "in writing". And I can show him "in writing" one instance of many where we lost ALOT of money. And he will immediately go to my boss. So, there is no secrecy, even if I tried to hide it. I am the only one who does my job, so no one else would see it.

I feel like I'm going to have to do something. Our GM constantly compares our sevice dept with our sister store and we always fall short in net profit. He has no idea that we are losing this much money. If we were to actually charge a standard amount for these repairs then we'd see a huge increase in monthly profit. Not like gigantic, but a very noticeable increase. I mean think about it...this repair that I'm speaking of is a VERY common repair. So, if we lose $669 4 times a month, that's $2676 which should be straight profit!!!

The advisor charged $291 for labor, but when I bill this same repair out, I get $960. That's a $669 difference. And this happens ALL THE TIME.

Which is actually the correct price? Or do you simply charge what you think you can get away with? How many hours of labor are we actually talking about here?

Which is actually the correct price? Or do you simply charge what you think you can get away with? How many hours of labor are we actually talking about here?

I use the times as dictated by the manufacturer of the parts that we are replacing. I go to their website and follow their guidelines. This is what we should be doing for all repairs. This is that standard that I believe we should follow. If we have 5 hours in a repair and the standard rate time (SRT) is 3 hours, then we only bill 3 hours. BUT if the SRT is 5 hours and we only have 3 hours in it, we should be billing the 5 hours as that is what it pays per the manufacturer.

I use the times as dictated by the manufacturer of the parts that we are replacing. I go to their website and follow their guidelines. This is what we should be doing for all repairs. This is that standard that I believe we should follow. If we have 5 hours in a repair and the standard rate time (SRT) is 3 hours, then we only bill 3 hours. BUT if the SRT is 5 hours and we only have 3 hours in it, we should be billing the 5 hours as that is what it pays per the manufacturer.

Okay, that seems reasonable. So how are the advisors coming up with their figures?

Okay, that seems reasonable. So how are the advisors coming up with their figures?

If we only have 3 hours in a repair, that is what they will charge, without looking up the SRT. So they dont even bother to look, which is what happened in this case. All they have to do is ask me as I'm a master at the manufacturer sites, but they dont bother, just charge the time that the tech has in it. In this instance, I can get 9.6 hours for this repair, but the advisor only charged 3 hours, as the tech only had 3 hours in it. But here's the kicker, our shop foreman helped him with this repair as the customer was in a big hurry, but our shop foreman's time is NOT included in the 3 hours. So we lost double.

Yup, this is standard practice in the auto repair industry. I had a BF that started his own Audi repair business and he billed for actual labor time and materials, but had explained to me the "flat rate" billing system they used at the dealership where he used to work. There is a book that details the "flat rate" for all repairs, most auto repair shops bill the flat rate for the repair instead of the actual labor rate. So if the book says it's 5 hours for a repair and it only takes 2 hours, the car owner still gets billed the 5 hours. Period. Sounds like your boss is floating between the two billing options willy-nilly. That makes a nightmare for the other employees as now they have no clue what to go by, or what this guy might have told a customer.

Cat, is there a standard policy for the company regarding billing? If there is, that might be your in for bringing it up to your GM. "I thought we billed using the flat rate, and I'm seeing lots of actual labor bills go through and I thought you should know when looking at our profit statements" Maybe? This is a tough one!!!!

Just brainstorming here, but could there be more to the story than you know? Is it possible that this is an old customer who is getting discounts for just being loyal or something?

Nope! Not in this incidence. A random person just passing through. You are right. There are a couple of customer's who spend a little over 20 million buying our vehicles a year, so they really kiss ass to these guys. I may not like it, but I understand cutting some of their bills. But for someone who is not a loyal customer and we will never see again, why? It's just not good business practice.

Sounds like your boss is floating between the two billing options willy-nilly. That makes a nightmare for the other employees as now they have no clue what to go by, or what this guy might have told a customer.

Cat, is there a standard policy for the company regarding billing? If there is, that might be your in for bringing it up to your GM. "I thought we billed using the flat rate, and I'm seeing lots of actual labor bills go through and I thought you should know when looking at our profit statements" Maybe? This is a tough one!!!!

This is what's happening. He is confusing everyone who does the billing so they dont know what the hell to do.

And there is no company policy about billing. Now, I"m curious as to how our sister company bills. Because they will have the same amout of customers, yet make $50,000 more a month than us.

SHould I type this all into an email and send it to the GM and copy my boss? Maybe word it like I'm proposing a new way to bill people?

This is what's happening. He is confusing everyone who does the billing so they dont know what the hell to do.

And there is no company policy about billing. Now, I"m curious as to how our sister company bills. Because they will have the same amout of customers, yet make $50,000 more a month than us.

SHould I type this all into an email and send it to the GM and copy my boss? Maybe word it like I'm proposing a new way to bill people?

That sounds like a good idea. Instead of pointing fingers like look what he did, you put a positive twist to it. It sounds good to me.

And if you feel like kissing ass, you can say something like my Boss inspired me to think this way, so the credit for this is his (or some bull sh!t like that). In a way he DID inspire you to do it, but only you know in what way LOL. I hate the kiss ass approach too - always have. I wouldn't do what I just suggested but I am just stubborn.

That sounds like a good idea. Instead of pointing fingers like look what he did, you put a positive twist to it. It sounds good to me.

And if you feel like kissing ass, you can say something like my Boss inspired me to think this way, so the credit for this is his (or some bull sh!t like that). In a way he DID inspire you to do it, but only you know in what way LOL. I hate the kiss ass approach too - always have. I wouldn't do what I just suggested but I am just stubborn.

I wont kiss ass and they both know it. lol That is why they keep me locked in my office making money and dont let me talk to the customers. lol

I'm trying to think of a way to to word it like a proposal, without placing blame or making my boss look stupid.

I love my job and I dont want to be fired for trying to make us more money because I went over my boss's head. Ugh. what do I do? ](*,)

I'm confused...

On one hand, you say that you're afraid that you're gonna get fired if do the wrong thing, yet you say that you're not a buttkisser or a corporate prostitute...

Just take it right to the GM...just go right over your boss' head...

More money in your boss' pocket means more money in your pocket, which seems to be the only thing that you're concerned about (and that's a good thing...nothing wrong whatsoever with making lots of money).

You're a rebel right? You don't care about the corporate game, right?

Why do you have ask anyone's advice? Just do what you want.

I like the email to the GM about creating a standard for billing, rather than a outright attack on your boss. Seems the easiest way to get the end result you want without peeing in anyone's cheerios. Something like:

"Recently, upon reviewing profit figures between our shop and our sister shop, I have noticed a difference in their overall sales figures vs. ours, based on the same amount of customers. Could this be due to a difference in billing policies? Currently there is no billing "standard" in our shop, it fluctuates between flat rate billing and actual labor billing, and this is proving to not only confuse the staff here at the shop, but also really hurts our bottom line." Yadda, yadda, yadda... you get the picture.

I like the email to the GM about creating a standard for billing, rather than a outright attack on your boss. Seems the easiest way to get the end result you want without peeing in anyone's cheerios. Something like:

"Recently, upon reviewing profit figures between our shop and our sister shop, I have noticed a difference in their overall sales figures vs. ours, based on the same amount of customers. Could this be due to a difference in billing policies? Currently there is no billing "standard" in our shop, it fluctuates between flat rate billing and actual labor billing, and this is proving to not only confuse the staff here at the shop, but also really hurts our bottom line." Yadda, yadda, yadda... you get the picture.

Thank you! I think something like this is what I'm going to do. Gm is on vacation until Monday. I"ll wait until he's back in the office. He is available by email, but I'd rather address this when he's here.

I'm confused...

On one hand, you say that you're afraid that you're gonna get fired if do the wrong thing, yet you say that you're not a buttkisser or a corporate prostitute...

Just take it right to the GM...just go right over your boss' head...

More money in your boss' pocket means more money in your pocket, which seems to be the only thing that you're concerned about (and that's a good thing...nothing wrong whatsoever with making lots of money).

You're a rebel right? You don't care about the corporate game, right?

Why do you have ask anyone's advice? Just do what you want.

Originally I just ignored this post as it just came accross as rude. So I waited 10 minutes ate lunch and reread it, it still comes accross as rude.

Now, to address your rude ass comment....I plan on going over my bosses head, but I'm looking for advice to do it diplomatically and not piss him off. I never said I was a 'rebel', I simply do not understand, nor do I care to understand the butt kissing that goes into "company politics". And I asked advice trying to "think outside of the box" and look for a way to go to my GM and not anger my boss.

I just wanted to hop in here quick and say I believe you should bring this up with your boss again first. Come prepared with numbers, as well as your idea for setting up a standard for everyone to follow. Explain that it's hurting his and your wallet as well as all the other employees to continue this, as well as hurting the sustainability of the shop.

Ask him if he'd like to wait for _______ _______ (GM) to come back so you can discuss all this together and come to a decision about it if he seems unsure or dismissive. If he dismisses your concerns again, you need to go to your general manager and explain to him you've made this proposal to your boss and you'd also like to present it to him to see what he thinks. Then do so.

Just because the guy doesn't want to make waves or wants to give the customer a good deal doesn't mean he needs to be cutting into what you could be taking home at night just to make himself feel good. If he's not doing his job, he needs to go.

I know this isn't what you asking. But if a job only took a person two hours and you charge what a manfacuter says your ripping off the customer. You should charge for the time spent .

That doesnt work because most job take LONGER than what the manufacturer recommends.

I will not debate auto industry practices, they are what they are.

In my opinion you want to keep your boss in the loop. Has your boss agreed with you privately about the issue? If he has approach it like we need to bring it to the attention of the GM to cover our asses. Say something to the affect "You know when the profit statements are off heads are gonna roll, and I don't want it to be us." Let him know if these lower margins continue, people could be laid off.

In my opinion you want to keep your boss in the loop. Has your boss agreed with you privately about the issue? If he has approach it like we need to bring it to the attention of the GM to cover our asses. Say something to the affect "You know when the profit statements are off heads are gonna roll, and I don't want it to be us." Let him know if these lower margins continue, people could be laid off.

Thanks Kaiser. Yes he has agreed with me. This is the approach that I'm going to take. After reading all of the repsonses here, I think that this is the best way to word it and yet, still tell the GM. I'm just going to have to tread lightly. I do like my boss as a person, he's super nice and very sweet. But he isnt a 'go getter' and in order to make money, you kind of have to be.

Archived