Academia?

JW78

So, first time writing this stuff and I am sure that it will be great/relieving just to get it out.

I am an Adjunct professor at a small Art and Design college. I have been there, as an adjunct for 4 yrs and I have taught every single class that the foundations department offers. I have been passed over for Full time positions before and another round of hiring is starting. I have the same feeling now about getting full time at the college as I had last time. Being a professor is amazing and I love teaching but there is so few of positions in CO that I feel like it is a dead end. I have a MFA in sculpture and have a vast array of knowledge, but don't feel that I am qualified for anything specific. Don't know if I should keep hoping that I will get a full time at a College or just give up the hopes and dreams that I have had for the past 6 yrs.

Any suggestions? I am lost......

J

I am tenure-track, and even so I am most likely quitting soon for a regular job; the long hours, the low pay, and the geographic and personal compromises I've had to make to be where I am just aren't worth it any more, whereas the options outside of academia are relatively attractive. At 31, if I go the nonacademic route, I can have the luxury of living near a city, living in the same state as my boyfriend and family, and making a decent salary--things most people take for granted. At the end of the day, I can drop my job and go home, without always feeling pressure to create and publish. I can have a life.

Put simply, there comes a time in your life when other things besides your love of teaching or your subject matter. Like having a stable job, not having to work 14 hours a day, and not having to live in Podunk, North Dakota. Don't forget--those things are most likely part of your dreams, too, and you can have a part of your dream if not the whole. And whatever you end up becoming if you leave--whether museum curator or art gallery owner--you can always stay connected to the art community and teach classes as an adjunct.

Academia's dirty secret is this: There is a whole world of nonacademic jobs out there--and most of them offer as many rewards (though different rewards) and a significantly better quality of life. Most people do not work as professors.

Yes, being a professor is a good job. But you *are* qualified to do many other things...you just have to find them. Don't feel any regret if you decide to leave.

I am not sure if it is different in your field, but in most academic departments, people who are hired as adjuncts are not usually considered for tenure track positions. Especially now with the current economy, more adjuncts and visiting professors are being hired because it's way cheaper than paying for full professors.

You might consider entering a doctoral program...? What is the difference between you and the full-time faculty members? Do they have doctorates?

Honestly, the job does sound like a dead end. I would suggest applying for other positions at other schools, or taking appropriate steps to bolster your CV. The longer you stay at this place, the more you'll be a pigeon-holed as "adjunct caliber." I've known too many people in your position; I know it's really hard and lots of times it has to do more with politics than actual talent/qualifications.

I am not sure if it is different in your field, but in most academic departments, people who are hired as adjuncts are not usually considered for tenure track positions. Especially now with the current economy, more adjuncts and visiting professors are being hired because it's way cheaper than paying for full professors.

*nod* This is true in my field/department also; however our adjuncts do tend to go on to positions elsewhere, usually at lower-ranked schools.

At my school they also will not retain a "visiting assistant professor" (adjunct) beyond three years, as they consider it to be a dead end and to the career detriment of the visiting professor.

wow....A little disheartening, but truthful. I agree with all that has been said, I hope/don't think; that I am just adjunct material. But I know a number of other Prof's that haven't lasted as long as I have because of the walls that I am running into and time. I think that I will run it through the hiring process, while looking for work outside of Academia. There is no PHD in my field, MFA is terminal, so that doesn't help. I have thought about going back and getting another Master's in Architecture or Engineering, but can't stand the thought of more student loans. Have to many now!

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions,

Jeff

wow....A little disheartening, but truthful. I agree with all that has been said, I hope/don't think; that I am just adjunct material. But I know a number of other Prof's that haven't lasted as long as I have because of the walls that I am running into and time. I think that I will run it through the hiring process, while looking for work outside of Academia. There is no PHD in my field, MFA is terminal, so that doesn't help. I have thought about going back and getting another Master's in Architecture or Engineering, but can't stand the thought of more student loans. Have to many now!

Thanks for the thoughts and suggestions,

Jeff

Sounds like a good plan. Pursue your dream for as long as you feel you can afford to, and be open to changing that dream if you need to. Dreams change, because life changes. That is the nature of things.

And don't fall into the common trap of letting your self-worth get wrapped up in academia; remember that whatever you do, at the end of the day you are still you, and you are more than your job. Also see this nice post on link removed--just think about the future, not about the past or how many years you have spent, etc.

Good luck and all the best.

As a PhD on a career path to academia, I often find myself angry and spiteful toward the system for various reasons. From the way we are treated to the pay, it is ridiculous. I didn't use to care, but that is changing now. I don't see this changing much when I graduate and find a job in academia.

Unlike most of you I am unlucky enough to have invested myself in a theoretical and new research area, that has little application. It can easily be applied but the real world doesn't know about it, doesn't understand it and politics gets in the way more times than not.

Now if I decide to pursue something else, I don't know what the h@ll to do with my degree.

Now if I decide to pursue something else, I don't know what the h@ll to do with my degree.

People use to ask me what I was going to do with my degree. My response was always, "frame it."

I found school fun... and I do have student loans, but with the new income-based repayment plans, it's not such a big deal if I don't find high paying work or work that has nothing to do with what I studied.

Unlike most of you I am unlucky enough to have invested myself in a theoretical and new research area, that has little application. It can easily be applied but the real world doesn't know about it, doesn't understand it and politics gets in the way more times than not.

No, I am similar. Based on my own experience and many of my friends', there are a large number of jobs out there in consulting, policy, engineering, think tanks, finance, etc. that simply look for smart people and don't particularly care what you are trained in--that is the most common exit ramp.

As far as I can tell, everyone who decides to leave academia does find a job in the end--it's just that you can't see ahead of time what kind of job you are going to end up with.

There are certainly many unique and wonderful perks of academia. It just ain't for me.

And yes, the situation is extremely frustrating. I stuck it out until the tenure-track job--but now I think it's time to go; the rest of my life has to matter, too.

No, I am similar. Based on my own experience and many of my friends', there are a large number of jobs out there in consulting, policy, engineering, think tanks, finance, etc. that simply look for smart people and don't particularly care what you are trained in--that is the most common exit ramp.

As far as I can tell, everyone who decides to leave academia does find a job in the end--it's just that you can't see ahead of time what kind of job you are going to end up with.

There are certainly many unique and wonderful perks of academia. It just ain't for me.

And yes, the situation is extremely frustrating. I stuck it out until the tenure-track job--but now I think it's time to go; the rest of my life has to matter, too.

Thanks for the encouragement. I really want it to be true that the market is looking for smart, hard working people. I can't say I have started any kind of application process, however my first glimpse tells me it's all politics, about who you know, who you can suck up to etc. Skills and ability don't matter. I hope I am wrong.

I can't say I have started any kind of application process, however my first glimpse tells me it's all politics, about who you know, who you can suck up to etc. Skills and ability don't matter. I hope I am wrong.

*nod* I guess that is partially true, but if it helps, the thing is that almost all of the above is partially true in academia as well.

I have friends who found non-ac jobs via networking, and many other friends who didn't. The same way in academia I have friends who found jobs largely for political reasons, and other friends who didn't.

In any event, whatever happens, you will almost assuredly land on your feet. And that is what I want to tell the OP too--whatever he chooses to do, he'll probably end up fine.

I spent six years on my PhD and another three on postdoctoral work, so I do understand about sunk costs, and having spent a number of years chasing a dream. But I believe (or maybe I tell myself ) that those years were not wasted. I learned a lot along the way.

And now I will be quiet, as this thread is dedicated to the OP's specific situation--and I begin to feel like I am causing it to drift.

I have thought about going back and getting another Master's in Architecture or Engineering, but can't stand the thought of more student loans.

The engineering master's might help, but I would advise against the architecture degree. I have several friends who got their master's in architecture and two are out of work; the other can only get adjunct teaching.

Archived