Possible life option but need help!!!

Hey everyone,

I have been told alot that I give very good advice and I think I have a knack for feelings and helping people out with them. I have been sad for awhile now, and this is one of the only things left that I feel I am any good at. So I was thinking about looking into it further as also maybe a later in life option, a career possibility. I am thinking that this would be a Psycologist. Now I was wondering if anyone here knew of anything that could help me get more involved in this, such as a book perhaps? I am not exacltly sure what I am looking for so does anyone know of anything?

Thanks

What exactly would you like to know? what you need to be a psychologist, or do you just want to learn more about psychology? you're still young, and have lots of time to think about that, but getting a general book in psychology may help, or one centered on your interests. To be a psychologist, I'm pretty sure you need a bachelors degree in psychology from university & then a PhD. I think a psychiatrist needs an M.D. (so they have to get a degree to be a medical doctor) and then specialize in psychology, so you can prescribe meds (a psychologist can't prescribe medication, that's the main difference.) But look it up on link removed if you're interested. Type in something like 'career information psychologist' and check out sites..

hope that helped,

lily04

You may need a M. D. to be a psychologist, but to be a psychotherapist, you don't. The big difference is psychologists are allowed to prescribe drugs. I personally think that while psychotherapist not only sounds cooler, people also view it as something better than a psychologist because the title sounds more important. You have to know a lot to be a psychologist, I have been studying depression and psychology for about a year now, and I know very little about it. It takes a LONG time and it is very difficult. Try observing your friends and just see how they react to certain things. Hope you do well in whatever you choose.

No Canadian, thats not correct. A "psychiatrist" has a Medical Degree and can prescribe medication. A "psychologist" has a degree (a PhD), but not a medical degree.

Both of them can perform psychotherapy. Its the medical degree for the psychiatrist thats the key difference.

• 2 weeks later...

As the Canadian guy said, psychology is a rather difficult subject and actually requires much more than a simple degree. However, I believe it is very enriching and you should pursue it (find out the possibilities of finding a job fist!).

The first way to get acknowledged with the subject could be to get first year books and manual from universities. Put an ad in the Department of psychology of the university that is closest to you and ask to buy first year books. They are going to be the easiest to read and once you know the subject, you will do very well in college.

Very interesting courses are : social psychology, perceptions, motivation, in anyway you should also get the introductory book.

Good luck!