wondering if this is innapropriate?

Okay, so I kind of have a bit of an issue involving two different jobs.

I have a job at an optometrists office which starts on Monday

I also just had a job interview at a design firm on and they won't let me know if I'm hired until early next week.. ie just when my other job is about to start.

I would prefer the design job since it is what I went to school for.

I would just hate to leave the optometrists office hanging if suddenly Monday the design place calls and tells me I have a job.

I wish I could know Friday or something.

My gut tells me this is innapropriate and I should just be patient

but part of me wants to call this design place tomorrow and ask if they can tell me if I have the job. I would hate to go in to train at all or the optometrist one if there's a chance I might not keep it. I don't think that's fair, but at the same time, if I get this design job I'm going to take it.

so do you think it's rude of me to call and see if I got the job Friday? should I mention the fact that I have another job starting? I mentioned in the interview I had another opportunity but I didn't say I actually had another job going on.

advice?? ps - this design job came along after I had already gotten one at the optometrist place, so I wasn't trying for this mix up.

Hokay. Does the design position want you to start immediately or will you get a little time?

It sounds a bit unprofessional but maybe you could ring the optometrist and tell them you can't start until the week after due to a family emergency or something. Then if you get the other job you can blow them off entirely, if you don't you've still got the position.

I would call the Design place and explain that you have received another job offer with a deadline of Monday to accept or decline.

Let them know that you would like the weekend to review the pro's and con's of the offer and was wondering if the design firm had come to any conclusion about whether or not a job offer was in the works as you are extremely interested in a position there.

Then just explain you would like to weigh the pro's and con's of both offers.

I would call the Design place and explain that you have received another job offer with a deadline of Monday to accept or decline.

Let them know that you would like the weekend to review the pro's and con's of the offer and was wondering if the design firm had come to any conclusion about whether or not a job offer was in the works as you are extremely interested in a position there.

Then just explain you would like to weigh the pro's and con's of both offers.

Exactly this. Employers understand that you may be contending with other offers, and sometimes timelines don't match up. It's not inappropriate or unprofessional to simply say that you have been offered another opportunity, but you are extremely interested in the position at their firm.

With all due respect to HouseKitten, it isn't really professional to lie to an employer, or "blow them off entirely." That office gave you a chance and hired you, and word could get around if you do so.

-D-,

You got to do what's right for yourself, even if it means quitting on the first day. I was put in a similar position last year with a job at a shoe store and a wholesale warehouse (did it while I was a substitute teacher). The warehouse called me back and offered me the job after the first day I started working at the shoe store. I ended up explaining to the manager that I needed benefits and that I was promised better pay and benefits. My manager completely understood and let me go without ANY quarrels.

iBroken had a good idea of telling the other workplace you applied for that you need a decision, but Human Resource or the manager works at their own pace. They may have other interviews schedules at different days and cannot give you an answer despite of your circumstances. If you come accross as demanding, they may not give you the job.

Hokay. Does the design position want you to start immediately or will you get a little time?

It sounds a bit unprofessional but maybe you could ring the optometrist and tell them you can't start until the week after due to a family emergency or something. Then if you get the other job you can blow them off entirely, if you don't you've still got the position.

No, don't do this! It might make you sound unreliable, and it's a lie that is easily enough caught. Just remember that the job that you HAVE is always more valuable than the one you don't!

Savannah

Archived