Hello,

I'm in the process of getting a job. I already went through all three interviews. He's already called two of references(calling the last one today), and YET he has not yet mentioned the salary or benefit package of this job. Obviously before I accept the position(if I get it) I need to know how much I'll be getting paid. At one point he made a comment(during our first interview), "I was thinking that we could start the position off with X amount of dollars--but I don't know--who knows?!" and then he shrugged his shoulders and kept talking. That was the only time in which mentioned it, and again it was in passing.

The amount that he did mention was at the lower end of what I'd want to be paid. On the original description of the job he gave a very wide range salary--so wide that it seemed that he had no idea what to make the salary be and he noted that the salary would be based on experience. This is his first time offering this type of position and the company NEEDS a lot of work. With the wide range salary that he advertised--the higher end of it was actually more of what I was looking for, but it appeared as if he wanted to start me off the low end range.

I have experience in this field, a portfolio that I brought, and due to the responsibilities of the position, etc I think I should get the higher end of the salary that he advertisted. My experience is a little higher than entry level, but not much higher. However this job calls for a lot of responsibilites. And when I researched the average salary of someone for this position, it was also among the higher end of salary that I would be looking for. How do I present this argument to him as to why I should get a higher salary? And how to bring Salary up before accepting the position? How does one go about negiotation? Keep in mind that the economy has really effected this particular sector and the company is hurting. HOWEVER with the salary that he advertised(at the high end at least) I figure if he didn't have the funds he wouldn't have advertised that amount.

Sorry that it's so long.

I would keep this very simple because it does not need to be complex. Once a company decides to hire you, they will extend an offer letter. Before you get this letter, you should already have a two numbers firm in mind: what you want and the minimum you'll accept. When you get the letter, if it's below what you want, simply say, "I appreciate the offer, but this is lower than what I will need to take this job." Then he should ask you what you have in mind. Tell him and negotiate from there. And under no circumstances take any amount less than the minimum you decided on beforehand.

I heard that women are incredibly underpaid compared with men and that it's down to their initial salary negotiations. That's true for anyone though!

Also, research apparently show that in negotiations it's the first person to mention a figure who ends up losing.

So - so far, so good! Let us know what happens! Good luck!

I would keep this very simple because it does not need to be complex. Once a company decides to hire you, they will extend an offer letter. Before you get this letter, you should already have a two numbers firm in mind: what you want and the minimum you'll accept. When you get the letter, if it's below what you want, simply say, "I appreciate the offer, but this is lower than what I will need to take this job." Then he should ask you what you have in mind. Tell him and negotiate from there. And under no circumstances take any amount less than the minimum you decided on beforehand.

So far this job is proving to very unprofessional. It's a company ran by a 68 year old and not to age discriminate but he isn't following the typical procedures thus far. He called me on a Sunday(yesterday to go over some things), which was very odd. The company itself is very small and in the construction sector. I honestly don't think he is going to send me a letter--I think it will be more of a phone call letting me know I got the position--which is why I wanted to know how I should bring up salary.

Thank you for your suggestions though--I think that's very helpful.

I heard that women are incredibly underpaid compared with men and that it's down to their initial salary negotiations. That's true for anyone though!

Also, research apparently show that in negotiations it's the first person to mention a figure who ends up losing.

So - so far, so good! Let us know what happens! Good luck!

Yep, that is why I'm not bringing up the number until he does. But just let you know there is about a 5.50 dollar difference between what he is offering me and the amount that I want. I'd be willing to settle at minimum at the 4.25 dollar difference, but nothing less. The issue that I'm getting is that they are seeking someone like me so that they can get away with paying less for the type of work that they'd want to be done by someone who is way more seasoned--though still what I want is nothing compared to what a seasoned person would want for the position. They are basically asking for a miracle to be performed and for the type of work that they'd need--the amount they are offering wouldn't cut it, for the type of hours I'd be putting in and type of work I'd have to perform.

Not to mention the last position I had, which consisted of a base plus commission was around the same price he'd want to start me at, but consisted of WAY less work and less hours. So I don't want an underpaid position. I just want to know how to leverage myself and prove that I'm worth that 5 dollar difference, without coming off as too money hungry.

So far this job is proving to very unprofessional. It's a company ran by a 68 year old and not to age discriminate but he isn't following the typical procedures thus far. He called me on a Sunday(yesterday to go over some things), which was very odd. The company itself is very small and in the construction sector. I honestly don't think he is going to send me a letter--I think it will be more of a phone call letting me know I got the position--which is why I wanted to know how I should bring up salary.

Thank you for your suggestions though--I think that's very helpful.

Well even if he doesn't give you a letter (and the professional way is to give you the offer letter in person), just wait until he says you have the position. It's his professional responsibility to offer you a salary in some way/shape/form when he says you're hired. If he doesn't and you have to bring it up, don't be intimidated...just realize he isn't very professional and you've done nothing wrong. Simply say, "Thank you, but you have not yet made me an offer." Go from there.

This is not legal in the UK

No. But it happens.

And I think it is because women don't negotiate right at the start - so a company can legitimately say, "We give them all the same percentage rise" - but as a friend of my father's once said, "10% of bogger all ain't a great bloody deal..."

The initial number is very important. And law or not, if you look into what women are ACTUALLY paid in the UK it is astoundingly inequitable.

I'm in Education and of course we never get to do the salary negotiation thing... except once I talked someone into giving me retention points for a job which I would have bitten their hand off to get...

Archived