Boss NOT funny.... Very Awkward Scenarios

rms128

My main boss has a bad sense of humor.... really bad. He has been known to tell racist, sexist, and classist. He is an elitist and he tells many jokes poking fun at how "low class" we are (he is from ). We publish a monthly newsletter to our clients. As the "editor" of the newsletter I put it together. He writes a monthly letter to our clients. I usually "massage" he letter, as not to offend anyone. In the last six months it has gotten very bad.... for example: I had to edit out an "amos and andy" reference to a local politician, him referring to a female as a and telling a very inappropriate sex analogy to business. I know for a fact he doesn't read the completed newsletter.

Well one of his business friend's gave him a "joke" for the most recent edition. The joke made no sense. I asked five people what it meant.... no one got it. I asked the VP of the company and he said it was not funny. So I didn't included it. The boss' friend was offended and "tattled" on me. So my boss chewed me out. I am afraid that now that I am on his rador he will realize that I have been editing his letters. Should I have done that? I mean these jokes of him were horrible and offending. These are letters that go to our clients.... I am not even offended that easily and I thought these were that bad!

If he's offending someone and will offend others especially in a newsletter, he has no right nor is exercising professional behavior. How well does the VP understand the situation? Your boss could be putting your company in a very dangerous situation if it's not for you editing such derogatory jokes.

Is your boss someone you can freely talk about your opinion on the matter? I'm sure it's a difficult situation for you as he's your boss but personally if talking to him doesn't work, I would take it up to the higher ranks (assuming it's the VP?) and let them know your concern.

Who would you rather be in trouble with the boss or the VP? This is something that could be held against you if it fell into the wrong hands. I believe this is something that you should take to the VP. This is definatly something he needs to know about. If he didn't like the one joke that you brought to him, think about how he would feel about the rest of the "jokes" that you are suppose to put in the articles.

I have kept all of his orginal letters-- he actually hand writes them. He is the president of the company. The VP has told me that she has no power over him and that I am "on my own". The hr director has told me the same thing. I have been trying really hard to get a new job and this is one of the many reasons. I actually have a 3rd interview today during my lunch hour... so hopefully this will work out and I can escape this insanity!!

Well of course the VP has no power over the boss, I was going crazy in my head with this "go to the VP" talk. You know how many VPs a company can have? It's an "air" title unless you put senior in front or something meaningful behind it.

Alright, so he is the president. That does still not mean owner. How many shares does he own and is there a shareholder with more shares? Preferably one major shareholder with over 50%. You can take the problem up with the chairman of the board or the major shareholder, those are usually the same person.

while "Tom" (not his real name) is the president... he still is suppose to answer to corporate. We have had MANY problems with Tom. He has made people cry... he has thrown things.... he has done things that are "questionable" at best. Corporate has defended him because he is a name in the industry. I honestly do not have the energy to take this to corporate. A couple months ago he chewed out a coworker "Jan". Co worker "Tony" recorded it with his cell phone and submitted it to corporate. NOTHING happened. I doubt they would care about this.

I had my 3rd interview for this particular new job yesterday. I am a finalist with 2 others... hopefully this works out. I heard "Tom" say that he has a "wicked tiger woods joke" for the next edition. I hope I am gone by then.

I'm sure if he's an asset to the company that makes them money, a little complaint probably won't do any good unless his actions and behavior goes public for some reason. I'm very sorry to hear you're going through this and do hope you get the new job

I'm sure if he's an asset to the company that makes them money, a little complaint probably won't do any good unless his actions and behavior goes public for some reason. I'm very sorry to hear you're going through this and do hope you get the new job

Thanks!!! Actually 2 more things. 1- i just got a message that I have been granted a 4th interview (and now there are2 finalists).... I am meeting for hopefully the final interview with the regional manager for this new gig.

2. I may not have to do this upcoming newsletter. I am on vacation the last week of this month and "tom" says he may have someone else do it so he can have more time to write it. It will be interesting to see what happens!

Archived